Tablets have been making quite a buzz lately, especially with manufacturers releasing different types of tablets for different needs and for different people. A lot of the newer ones come with the latest Android version out of the box, leaving older tablets in the dust, but thanks to the Android community, there's still a lot of hope for older tablets such as the Samsung Galaxy Tab GT-P1000.
The Galaxy Tab came with Android 2.2 Froyo out of the box, but it has gotten a taste of Google's newest features through Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich-based custom ROMs. It'll get a handful of Jelly Beans, as well, thanks to the Sapir ROM.
Released by XDA Developers member erezak, this ROM is based on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and CyanogenMod 10 and promises to give you smooth and fluid performance.
This guide shows you how to flash Sapir ROM for the Galaxy Tab P1000.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy Tab, model number GT-P1000. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Galaxy Tab GT-P1000 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Your tablet's USB cable
- Download the Sapir ROM package (Sapir-10-20121118-NIGHTLY-p1-erezak.zip, md5sum: cc57db0becae9f9ee9ac6d5aa02d2f45).
- Make sure your tablet's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your tablet to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Sapir ROM package to your tablet's SD card.
- Switch your tablet off.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold down the Volume Up key and Power button together until the tablet boots into recovery.
- NOTE: You can use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an item or option in recovery.
- Make a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. Go to Backup and Restore and select Backup.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partition. Confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Advanced. Select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and navigate to the Sapir-10-20121118-NIGHTLY-p1-erezak.zip file. Select the file and confirm the action on the next screen to start installing the ROM on your tablet.
- Once installation is done, select Go back and select Reboot system now. This will reboot your tablet to the newly installed Sapir ROM.
Great job! You have successfully upgraded your Samsung Galaxy Tab GT-P1000 to Jelly Bean thanks to the CM10-based Sapir ROM.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.