The first and original Samsung Galaxy Tab GT-P1000 was released to the market running Android 2.2 Froyo. Later on, the tablet was updated to Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Unfortunately, the tablet was stuck on Gingerbread and didn't receive official Android 3.0 Honeycomb or the sweetest Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. It's also impossible that the tablet will ever receive the latest Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
Although the tablet has been left out and replaced with newer and faster Galaxy Tabs, independent developers are still determined to bring the latest Android OS to the first tablet. With the Sapir custom ROM based on CyanogenMod 10, the Samsung Galaxy Tab GT-P1000 can get its own dose of Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean. Although Jelly Bean may be the latest Android OS, this custom ROM is not an official ROM for the tablet and may contain bugs and malfunctioning features.
In this guide, learn how to upgrade the Galaxy Tab P1000 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via Sapir ROM (CM10-based).
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy Tab (GSM variant), model number GT-P1000. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy Tab (GSM variant) GT-P1000 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Download the following files:
- Backup all personal data on your tablet to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Sapir ROM and GApps package to your tablet's internal SD card.
- Turn off your tablet.
- Reboot your tablet into ClockworkMod Recovery Mode. You can do that by pressing and holding down the Volume Up and the Power buttons until Recovery Mode boots.
- NOTE: Once in Recovery Mode, use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option.
- To have something to go back to in case something goes wrong, create a backup of your current ROM. From the main recovery menu, select Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen. Wait until recovery finishes backing up your ROM.
- Go back to the main menu and perform a full wipe:
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Return to the main menu and select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and locate the Sapir ROM ZIP file. Confirm the action on the next screen to flash the ROM to your tablet.
- Go back to the main menu and flash the GApps package in the same manner as in steps 6 and 7.
- Return to the main menu and select Reboot system now to restart your phone.
Hooray! You have successfully flashed the CyanogenMod 10-based Sapir ROM on your Samsung Galaxy Tab (GSM variant) GT-P1000.