The Samsung Galaxy Tab GT-P1000 first came out in 2010 armed with Android 2.3 Gingerbread, later on updated to higher and more recent versions of Gingerbread. However, Samsung announced that the tablet wouldn’t be receiving any Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades, but that another Gingerbread build with a few of Ice Cream Sandwich’s features would be provided
Although that was the case, most Galaxy Tab owners wanted to have the Ice Cream Sandwich firmware itself, not just some of its features encased in Gingerbread. Luckily, XDA developers made custom ROMs for ICS-deprived devices and constantly fixed bugs and problems with every build. The AOKP (Android Open Kang Project) custom ROM is one of the most preferred by users. This time, XDA member, hendryedwardrose, released the latest build of an AOKP custom ROM based on Android 4.0.4 for the Galaxy Tab.
This ROM packs a stock Android experience with smooth and fast performance together with an inbuilt ROM Control Mod that allows for further customization. Do note that this ROM is still undergoing constant development, so it may still carry several bugs and issues. If you want to try this custom ROM because you are itching to have ICS on your tablet, you can do so just by following the requirements and instructions below.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy Tab, model number GT-P1000. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A rooted Samsung Galaxy Tab GT-P1000 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- A Windows PC
- Samsung KIES installed in your PC to have it automatically install the needed Samsung USB drivers.
- 7-Zip, WinRAR, or any other program that can extract archive files.
- Download the following files to your computer:
- See to it that your tablet’s battery is at least 75% charged to avoid interruption of the process due to insufficient battery power .
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the AOKP ROM Build 40 package and the GApps (Google Apps) package to the root of the tablet’s internal SD card.
- Switch off your tablet and reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, hold the Volume Up key and Power button together until the screen turns on, then you can release the buttons.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset, then choose Yes on the next screen.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik Cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Install ZIP From SD Card. Select Choose ZIP From SD Card and locate the aokp_p1_build-40.zip file. Confirm the action on the next screen to flash the ROM.
- Go back to the main menu and install the GApps package in the same manner as in step 6. This will install apps like the Play Store, Gmail, etc.
- When the installation is completely done, go back to the main menu then select Reboot System Now. This will reboot your tablet to the installed AOKP ROM. Booting for the first time may take up to 5 minutes.
Awesome! You’ve now successfully installed the Android 4.0.4 ICS-based AOKP ROM Build 38 on your Samsung Galaxy Tab GT-P1000. Have fun with all the features Ice Cream Sandwich can give you and your tab.