The latest version of Google’s Ice Cream Sandwich for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 P7310 was recently released. It’s not an official release from Samsung Electronics, but if you wish to try this beta version of ICS you have to get your tablet rooted first. Check out our complete guide below on how to root your Galaxy Tab 8.9 P7310.
Before we get into rooting your device, I have to warn you that if you continue rooting your Tab it will void the warranty. However, you can still get your claim warranty if you update the original stock firmware from your Tab. Also, this rooting method is only for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 P7310 and is not applicable to any other device.
To be able to root your Galaxy Tab 8.9 P7310, you’ll need the following:
- Charge your battery with at least 60% power (100% is recommended). This is necessary since you don’t want your phone to lose power in the middle of the rooting process.
- Make a back up of all the important files and data on your phone (i.e. SMS, Contacts, Call log, Files, APN & MMS Settings)
- Uninstall antivirus suites on your computer and on your tablet, as they can interrupt the rooting process.
- Enable USB Debugging in your tablet (Settings > Applications > Development > USB Debugging).
- Download and install the appropriate drivers for your tablet. You may need to restart your computer after installation.
- Download the rooting package.
NOTE: Use the information in this guide at your own risk. We shall not be liable for damage to your device because of your use of this guide.
Here’s how to root your Galaxy Tab 8.9 P7310:
- Copy the rooting package from your computer to the SD card on your tablet.
- Turn your tablet off.
- Put the tablet into Recovery mode. Do this by holding the Volume Down button and the Power button at the same time until you see two icons on your screen, then release the two buttons.
- Select Recovery Mode icon. (Use the Volume buttons to navigate and Power button to select.)
- In Recovery mode, select “apply zip from SD card” then select the rooting package that you copied earlier. The rooting process will take a few minutes to finish then it will go back to Recovery or your Tab will automatically restart.
- If it goes back to Recovery Mode, select the “Go Back” option then select “ reboot system now”. After that you are done rooting your Tab.
Congratulations! You have successfully rooted your Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 P7310. Now you can install the latest custom ROM based on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich on your tablet.