Tablets have been stealing the limelight these past weeks with the Nexus 7 and the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 taking the market by storm. The hype doesn't even end there yet because the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 10.1 is also on its way to awe more tablet enthusiasts. It just goes to show that tablets are slowly gaining the consumers' attention and interest.
Even last year, the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 was one of the hottest picks for tablets. Armed with a dual-core processor and a Super AMOLED Plus capacitive touchscreen, the mighty tablet was one of the most sought-after gadgets. The tablet also has phone capabilities, which made consumers take interest in it. The tablet came to the market with the Android 3.2 Honeycomb, Android's tablet-exclusive version.
Today, your Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 can run on the latest Android 4.1 Jelly Bean through a custom ROM. XDA Developers member locerra has ported an unofficial CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) ROM based on Android 4.1 Jelly Bean for the said tablet. Having CM10 and Jelly Bean on a tablet will definitely be a treat, given that the ROM brings a smooth-as-butter interface and extensive customization options.
Though, the ROM is still a work in progress and may not be a suitable ROM for everyday use.
This guide shows you how to upgrade the Galaxy Tab 7.7 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via CyanogenMod 10 (unofficial).
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7, model numberGT-P6800, GT-P6810, or SCH-I815. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Any of the three variants of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 (GT-P6800, GT-P6810, or SCH-I815 version) with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Your tablet's USB cable.
- Download the ROM package for your tablet model:
- CM10 for the I815 package (cm-10-20120903-NIGHTLY-i815.zip, md5sum: d20b7351efe93305c585b9f1cd862ded)
- CM10 for the P6800 package (cm-10-20120816-NIGHTLY-p6800.zip, md5sum: 459814fe06d2d0c2c41b54ce3ea07aa7)
- CM10 for the P6810 package (cm-10-20120816-NIGHTLY-p6810.zip, md5sum: 18e4835886e8de04350e527ed44fad1e)
- Download the GApps (Google Apps) package (gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip, md5sum: f62cfe4a827202899919fd932d5246d7)
- Make sure that your tablet's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your tablet to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the ROM package and the GApps package to your tablet's SD card.
- Switch the tablet off and boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up and Power buttons together until the screen turns on. Once the tablet is on, release the Power button but keep pressing the Volume Up button until the tablet boots into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Make a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. To create a backup, go to Backup and Restore and select Backup. Wait for the backup to finish.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen. Wait until the process is finished.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and navigate to the ROM package, select it, and confirm the action on the next screen to start installing the ROM on your tablet.
- Once installation is done, install the GApps package in the same manner as steps 5 and 6.
- After installation, select Go back and select Reboot system now. This will reboot your tablet to the newly installed ROM.
Great job! You have successfully installed the CyanogenMod 10 ROM on your Galaxy Tab 7.7. Enjoy the great features of Jelly Bean on your already-great Android device.