The Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800 with its massive 7.7-inch Super AMOLED Plus capacitive touchscreen and dual-core 1.4 GHz Exynos chipset is like having a super-sized Galaxy Note minus the S-Pen. If you have been using the Galaxy Tab 7.7 for quite a while now then you might have been bored by the same old Honeycomb UI and its features.
Samsung has been apparently tweaking some Honeycomb builds lately and one of its recent works is already out in the open. The latest Android 3.2 Honeycomb firmware, known as DXLB3, has already been released for the Galaxy Tab 7.7. This is certainly great news for people who are still waiting for the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade.
Read the rest of this guide to patch up and enhance your Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 P6800 with the DXLB3 firmware.
This guide is strictly intended for the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800 model. It is not compatible with other variants such as the GT-P6810 or LTE I815 versions. You can check your device model by heading to Settings > About Tablet.
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800
- A Windows PC
- Make a back up of all the important data on your phone (i.e. contacts, call logs, files, bookmarks and Internet settings) since the installation process will involve wiping your phone’s data.
- Updated USB device drivers installed on your PC. You can install them by using the Samsung KIES software that you can download from here.
- Temporarily disable or uninstall Samsung KIES and antivirus tools as they may interrupt the installation process.
- Download the DXLB3 firmware package (P6800DXLB3_P6800OLBLB1_P6800DXLB1_HOME_ROOT_DEODEX.exe, md5sum: 901c028627dbe67f5bf19db5dd4b66d8) to your computer. (An alternative download location is here.)
- Double-click the self-extracting P6800DXLB3_P6800OLBLB1_P6800DXLB1_HOME_ROOT_DEODEX.exefile and extract the file’s contents into a folder on your PC. You’ll get the following files after extraction:
- Odin3 v1.85.exe
- Power down your Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7.
- Boot the tablet into Download Mode. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Down, Home, and Power buttons until you are greeted with the Download Mode splash screen.
- On your PC, launch the Odin3 application by double-clicking on Odin3 v.1.85.exe.
- In Odin3, select the PDA tab, then browse for the P6800DXLB3_P6800OLBLB1_P6800DXLB1_HOME_ROOT_DEODEX.tar.md5 that you have extracted a while go.
- Make sure you don’t touch any other options in Odin3.
- Connect your Galaxy Tab 7.7 to your PC using a USB cable. Once connected, you should be greeted with an “Added!” message under Odin3’s message box found on the bottom left. In case you don’t see one, then there’s probably something wrong with your device drivers. Reinstall the drivers and try again.
- Select the Start button in Odin3 to begin flashing the DXLB3 firmware.
- If flashing is successful, you should get a “PASS” message in Odin3 and your tablet should automatically reboot itself once it finishes installing.
- Safely disconnect your tablet from your PC.
Congratulations! You have successfully updated your Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 GT-P6800 to the latest Android 3.2 Honeycomb build DXLB3.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.