A lot of Android users have chosen to unlock and root their Android devices. For the price of breaking your warranty and putting your device at risk of bricking, a rooted device brings more enhanced features and an optimized Android experience.
ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) is also an essential tool for you to safely flash ROMs to your device. For you to enjoy such privilege on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Wi-Fi GT-P3113, you will need to root your tablet and flash CWM Recovery by following our step-by-step guide.
RootzWiki member winterwar compiled the works of known developers such as xoomdev, nycbr, jcase, and imnuts in order for you to flash ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery and gain root access on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113.
If you want to customize your Android tablet, continue reading the rest of this guide to learn how to root and flash CWM Recovery to your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, model number GT-P3113. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113
- A Windows PC
- Download and install the necessary USB drivers on your computer. You can get them by installing Samsung Kies on your computer. Make sure to close Samsung Kies before following the procedures below.
- If you face problems related to the USB drivers, you will need to update the drivers on your computer. Go to your PC’s Device Manager and update the Samsung USB driver.
- Charge your tablet’s battery to 75% or more.
- Disable system tools such as anti-virus software, firewall program, and Samsung KIES to prevent any interruptions during the procedure.
- Enable USB debugging on your tablet.
- Backup all personal data on your tablet to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Download the developer nycbjr’s rooting package (cwm-root-gtab2.zip, 1.22 MB).
- Download the following ClockworkMod Recovery images:
- Download xoomdev’s CWM Recovery image (espressowifi-recovery-5-18.tar.md5, md5sum: 6e0f1542634f60bfaade6c2bc4cd30a5) if your tablet came with UEALCB or UEALD3 firmware.
- Download imnuts’ CWM Recovery image (espresso_recovery.tar.md5, 9.4 MB) if your tablet came with UEALCB firmware and updated it into the over-the-air UEALD3 firmware update. You can also use this image file if you are running UEALD3.
- Download Odin3 v1.85 (Odin3-v1.85_3.zip, 199 kB)
- Copy cwm-root-gtab2.zip to the root of your tablet’s external SD card (/mnt/extSdCard). Do not transfer the file to /mnt/sdcard folder. This is the tablet’s internal memory storage and cannot be recognized in ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Turn off your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113.
- Reboot your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113 into Download Mode. You can do that by pressing and holding the Volume Up key (right key on the Volume rocker) and Power button. When a warning message appears, press the Volume Down key (left key on the Volume rocker) to continue into Download Mode.
- NOTE: To avoid confusion, the left Volume key refers to the button closest to the Power button. On the other hand, the right Volume key refers to the button farthest from the Power button.
- Extract Odin3-v1.85_3.zip to a folder on your computer.
- Click Odin3 v1.85.exe to launch Odin on your computer.
- Using your USB cable, connect your tablet to the computer. The word “Added” will appear on Odin. If it doesn’t appear, make sure you have installed the necessary drivers on your computer.
- Click the PDA button in Odin and select espressowifi-recovery-5-18.tar.md5.
- NOTE: Do not make any changes in Odin except for the required file on the PDA tab.
- Click the Start button in Odin to begin flashing the ClockworkMod Recovery image to your tablet.
- After installation is complete, a box on the Odin window will turn green. You will also get the “Pass” message on Odin.
- Your tablet will now reboot. You can disconnect your tablet from the computer once the Samsung logo appears on the screen.
- Turn off your tablet and reboot it into ClockworkMod Recovery mode. You can do that by pressing and holding the Volume Down key (left key on the Volume rocker) and Power button. When the Samsung logo appears, release the Power button while keeping the left Volume key pressed.
- NOTE: Once in recovery, use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option.
- Select Install ZIP From SD Card.
- Choose the cwm-root-gtab2.zip and confirm the action to initiate the rooting process.
- Once complete, go back to the main menu and select Reboot System Now to restart your tablet.
You have successfully flashed ClockworkMod Recovery and acquired root access on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 GT-P3113. You can now perform tweaks and customizations on your Android tablet. Good work!