All Android devices come out of the box with a built-in ROM which we call stock ROM. Unfortunately, that also means pre-installed applications that we call bloatware. These apps are embedded in your devices, taking up precious space in your Android device’s memory. Worst is that you can’t easily remove those apps on your device. If you want to remove the pesky bloatware on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5113, you can install the bloatware-free CleanRom 1.1 custom ROM on your Android tablet.
XDA Developers member sgrant managed to modify the stock ROM on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5113 and create a custom ROM that is lighter and cleaner. If you install this ROM, you’ll experience the Android OS that is free from bloatware apps. The ROM also comes pre-rooted, de-odexed, and zipaligned to make the ROM smoother and faster.
If you want a bloatware-free Android ROM for your table, read on to learn how to flash the CleanRom v1.1 ROM to your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5113.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1, model number GT-P5113. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5113 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Download CleanRom v1.1 from the following links (tab210CleanRom-v1.1.zip, md5sum: 530ba66c73a052a486f2e28a3d725a7c):
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- To ensure that your phone lasts throughout the entire procedure, charge your phone’s battery to 60% or more.
- Copy tab210CleanRom-v1.1.zip to your tablet’s external SD card.
- Switch off your tablet.
- Reboot your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 to ClockworkMod Recovery Mode. You can do that by pressing the Volume Down key and Power button simultaneously. When the Samsung logo appears, release the Power button but keep the Volume Down key pressed until recovery boots.
- Create a NANdroid backup of your current ROM. Select Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen.
- For a clean and safer flash, perform a full wipe by doing the following (you can skip this step if you came from a previous version of CleanRom):
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advance. From there, select Wipe Dalvik Cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Install ZIP From SD Card.
- Select Choose ZIP From SD Card and locate the tab210CleanRom-v1.1.zip. Confirm the action on the next screen to begin flashing the ROM to your tablet.
- Once complete, go back to the main menu and select Reboot System Now to restart your phone.
Manually installing bloatware
If you like to use certain apps that came with your stock ROM, you can install them in CleanRom v1.1 by doing the following steps. You will need a root-enabled file explorer app.
- Install a root-enabled file manager app (e.g., ES File Explorer and ASTRO File Manager / Browser) on your tablet.
- Download the package of removed APK files from the following links (removed-apps.zip, md5sum: ed75336fb4693b1c7361a9fa1a85d0a1):
- Download 1
- Download 2
- Extract the contents of the ZIP file to your computer. You will be extracting APK files.
- Copy the desired APK file to your tablet’s SD card.
- Open the file explorer app on your tablet and locate the APK file you copied.
- Move the APK file to the /system/app/ folder.
- Reboot your tablet.
Congratulations! You have successfully flashed the CleanRom v1.1 on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 GT-P5113. You can now enjoy a bloatware-free, fast, and smooth Android ROM on your tablet.