A year ago, a line of next-generation Galaxy tablets was released by Samsung: the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Galaxy Tab 10.1V. Soon after, another variation of the tablet was released, the Galaxy Tab 10.1N, sporting a metal frame over its sides and repositioned speakers. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 has been through patent lawsuits and sales bans, but developers are stopping at nothing just to bring tablet owners updates, tweaks, and custom ROMs.
With its default Android 3.2 Honeycomb OS, the Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7510 runs smoothly, given that it has a dual-core processor. But, the fun doesn't stop there. Just recently, an alpha build Jelly Bean for the tablet was released by XDA Developers senior member MapleSyrup using the official Jelly Bean sources provided by Google. This is definitely one thing Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7510 owners should rejoice about.
Keep in mind that this is an alpha build, purely experimental. A couple of things don't work in this build like the camera and aGPS. But, sooner or later, workarounds may be provided by the developer, so don't let those things hold you back from trying this build out. Just follow the requirements and instructions below to upgrade the Galaxy Tab 10.1 P7510 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi, model number GT-P7510. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7510 (Wi-Fi-only variant) with custom recovery installed. For help with custom recovery, check these out:
- How to flash ClockworkMod Recovery 220.127.116.11 on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7510
- How to flash TWRP Recovery 2.2.0 on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7510
- Your tablet's USB cable.
- Download the following files to your computer:
- Jelly Bean 4.1.1 alpha build package for the GT-P7510 (31-07-12.13-30-jellybean-alpha-p4wifi-sig.zip, md5sum: 2bb03e5fe2be8decb30e0833cdc6f84c)
- GApps (Google Apps) package (gapps-jb-20120717-signed.zip, MD5sum: 10988c023495b7871514f2d69cbc2503)
- Make sure your tablet's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the Jelly Bean 4.1 Alpha Build package to your tablet's internal SD Card.
- Switch off your tablet and boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, switch the tablet on while holding the Volume Up button. When the screen turns on, release the Power button but keep pressing the Volume Up button until a menu shows up on the screen. Press Volume Down to select the recovery mode icon and then, press the Volume Up button to enter recovery.
- Make a NANDroid backup of your current ROM in case problems will occur with this ROM. To make a backup, select Backup and Restore. Select Backup again on the next screen. Once backup is done, go back to the main recovery menu.
- Select Wipe data/Factory Reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Advanced > Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Mounts and storage > Format /system and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Once the full data wipe is done, return to main recovery menu.
- Select Install ZIP From SD Card > Choose ZIP From SD Card and choose the 15-07-12.08-46-jellybean-alpha-p4wifi-sig.zipfile. Confirm the action on the next screen to start installing the ROM.
- After the installation is done, install the GApps (Google Apps) package in the same manner as in step 9.
- Once the installation is done, select Go Back and select Reboot System Now. This will reboot your tablet to the newly installed Jelly Bean build.
Well done! Your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi GT-P7510 is now running Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean.