Have you been itching to power your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi + 3G GT-P7500 with a great custom ROM? Nightly builds of the CyanogenMod 9 custom ROM is now available for your tablet, allowing you to get fresh updates everyday. If you are bugged by slow ROM releases from Samsung, then you should give this a shot.
CyanogenMod 9 ROMs are famous for their amazing performance, which is often better than that of stock ROMs. They also provide users tons of customization options, such as their built-in theme engine. They also come without any bloatware or unnecessary apps which consume precious memory space, optimizing the performance of the devices.
Now you can enjoy the Ice Cream Sandwich-based CyanogenMod 9 custom ROM on your Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi + 3G. It comes with the usual CyanogenMod features but what makes it more amazing is that you get fresh updates for this ROM every day. Any changes that the developers make in the ROM can be experienced on your device without the hassle of a long wait.
If you want to install this ROM, see the requirements and instructions below.
- A rooted Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi + 3G GT-P7500
- Enable USB debugging on your tablet. You can enable it through Settings > Applications > Development.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Make sure that your battery has at least 50% charge to avoid interruption due to power loss.
- Install the USB drivers for your Galaxy Tab 10.1 on your computer. You can acquire them by installing Samsung KIES, or download and install the drivers (GT-p7510_USB_Driver_v1_3_2360_0-Escape.exe, 7.5 MB) from the links below:
- Download Odin 1.85 (Odin 1.85.zip, 198.58 kB) to your computer.
- Download the ClockworkMod Recovery (CWM) image for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7500 (recovery.tar.md5, 3.8 MB) to your computer from the links below:
- Download to your computer the GApps (Google Apps) package (gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip, 49.6 MB) for your tablet.
- Download to your computer the latest nightly build of CyanogenMod 9 for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7500.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use of Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi + 3G, model number GT-P7500. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
You need to install ClockworkMod Recovery first to install the ROM, but if you already have it on your rooted Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi + 3G, you can skip the first set of instructions.
Installing ClockworkMod Recovery
- Extract the Odin 1.85.zip file to any folder on your computer. It’s recommended to extract it on the Desktop where you can easily find it.
- Put your tablet in Download Mode by pressing and holding down the Volume Down button and Power button together. When the screen turns on, press the Volume Up button.
- Go to the folder where you extracted Odin 1.85.zip and double-click Odin3 v1.85.exe to launch it.
- Connect your tablet to your computer. You’ll see an “Added” message in the Odin window if Odin successfully detects your tablet. If it does not recognize your tablet, disconnect it from the computer and re-install the device drivers. Also make sure that USB debugging is enabled on your tablet.
- In Odin, click the PDA button and select the recovery.tar.md5 file.
- Click the Start button in Odin to flash ClockworkMod Recovery to your tablet. Wait for it to finish.
- Once the flashing is done, you will get a PASS message on the Odin window. You can disconnect your tablet from your computer and proceed to flashing the CyanogenMod 9 nightly ROM.
- However, if you get a FAIL message or Odin freezes, disconnect the tablet from your computer, close Odin, remove and re-insert the tablet’s battery, then start from step 2 again.
Installing CyanogenMod 9
- Copy the CyanogenMod 9 ROM package and Google Apps package ZIP files to the root of your Galaxy Tab’s internal SD card.
- Turn off your tablet.
- Boot your tablet into ClockworkMod Recovery by pressing and holding down the Power button, the Volume Down key, and the Volume Up key together. Let go of the Power button when the screen turns on but keep holding the Volume buttons until you see a menu. Press the Volume Down key to highlight the Recovery Mode icon, then press the Volume Up key to enter Recovery Mode.
- Create a Nandroid Backup of your current ROM so that you can easily restore it. Select Backup and Restore > Backup and go back to the main recovery menu afterwards.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset > Yes and wait for the wiping to complete.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP from SD Card and select the ROM’s ZIP file. Wait for the flashing to finish.
- Repeat step 6, but this time choose the Google Apps package.
- Return to main recovery menu.
- Select Reboot system now.
Since updates of the ROM are released almost every night, you’ll want to apply the changes immediately to your tablet. Simply copy the most recent nightly build of the ROM into the root of your internal SD card and follow the steps for installing CyanogenMod 9 except step 5 and step 7.
Congratulations! Your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 Wi-Fi + 3G is now running on CyanogenMod 9 with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich.