If you are bored with the stock OS user experience and you're looking for a ROM to flash on your Galaxy Tab 10.1, we suggest that you try the new CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) preview ROM. Apart from being a decent CyanogenMod 10 port, it also happens to be Jelly Bean–Google's current top Android operating system. Flashing this ROM will definitely pump some life into that old Samsung hardware.
XDA Developers member pershoot did not fail to excite CM10 fanatics with this latest CM10 preview. Still, this ROM has some lags and bugs like a slight issue with Trebuchet and problems with recording at 720p, as well as other issues that the developer is currently looking into. There's no doubt, though, that the newest version is more stable than the earlier releases. It's not perfect, but it sure is working fine. The only way for you to find out is to try it yourself.
This guide shows you how to flash CyanogenMod 10 for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 (preview build).
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with theSamsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, model number GT-P7510 or GT-P7500. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A rooted Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-P7510 or GT-P7500 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Make sure that your tablet's battery is 50% or more to avoid installation interruption due to power loss.
- Download the Android 4.1.1 CyanogenMod 10 preview ROM ZIP file. Here are the respective downloads based on your tablet models:
- Download the Google Apps package (gapps-jb-20120729.zip, md5sum: 9d2122dace6c0d3db88127f3e47533eb)
- Copy the Android 4.1.1 CyanogenMod 10 Preview ROM and the Google apps package ZIP files to your tablet’s internal SD card.
- Turn your tablet off.
- Reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, switch the tablet on while holding the Volume Up button. When the screen turns on, release the Power button but keep pressing the Volume Up button until a menu shows up. Press Volume Down to select the Recovery mode icon and then press the Volume Up button to enter Recovery.
- Create a NANDroid Backup. Go to Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset > Yes.
- Install the Android 4.1.1CyanogenMod 10 ROM. Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP From SD Card > locate and select the p4wifi-boot-111912.zip or p4-boot-111912.zip file > Yes.
- Repeat step 8 to install gapps-jb-20120729.zip.
- Do the following to wipe cache:
- Select Wipe Cache Partition > Yes.
- Select Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache > Yes.
- Select Go Back > Reboot System Now.
Awesome! You just flashed the preview build of CyanogenMod 10 ROM for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 P7510 and P7500. Watch for more developments to this ROM!
Ken is an expert on management and is currently engrossed with his newly started adventure in logistics management. But, that's only his second love. His first love, of course, and without being mushy when this is said, is Android.