With the number of new Android devices released in the market, many developers have found themselves tinkering with new and famous phones or tablets for its user base. Often times older devices are buried to technological oblivion but not the Galaxy Tab 10.1. In fact, there is a new custom kernel for the device dubbed as Yoda’s Kernel. It’s not something from Star Wars but it has exciting features worth checking out.
XDA Developers member Ryrzy decided to direct development efforts to the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the result? Yoda’s Kernel version 2.4. The kernel comes with custom boot animation, added CPU uV, enabled cifs/utf8, enabled basic NTFS support, USB charging mod, Voodoo sound mod, and many other juicy tidbits.
Many users like this kernel for its amazing battery efficiency relative to other kernels. In terms of issues, there are no major bugs except for issues in activating deep sleep mode on the tablet. The developer explained that this is caused by some apps installed on the device but not the kernel itself. You can flash this kernel on top of any Jelly Bean or ICS ROM. The dev also notes that this kernel hasn’t been tested under CyanogenMod.
This guide shows you how to flash Yoda’s Kernel for the Galaxy Tab 10.1.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with theSamsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, model number GT-P7500 or GT-P7510. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A rooted Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 GT-7510 or GT-7500 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Check out our guide on how to root and install ClockworkMod Recovery on your Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Make sure that your phone’s battery is 50% or more to avoid installation interruption due to power loss.
- Download the kernel ZIP file according to your Galaxy Tab 10.1 model.
- Copy the Yoda’s kernel ZIP file to your tablet’s internal SD card.
- Turn your tablet off.
- Reboot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, switch the tablet on while holding the Volume Up button. When the screen turns on, release the Power button but keep pressing the Volume Up button until a menu shows up on the screen. Press Volume Down to select the Recovery mode icon. Press the Volume Up button to enter recovery.
- Create a NANDroid Backup of your existing ROM. Go to Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Wipe your cache by doing the following:
- Select Wipe Cache Partition > Yes.
- Select Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache > Yes.
- Install the Yoda’s kernel. Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP From SD Card > locate and P7510_yoda_v2.4.zip or P7500_yoda_v2.4.zip file > Yes.
- Once you’re done, select Go Back > Reboot System Now.
Awesome! You just learned how to install Yoda’s kernel version 2.4 on your Galaxy Tab 10.1 P7510 and P7500. Try flashing this kernel on top of other ROMs and explore many great combinations. Enjoy!