People who've owned the LG G2x or are still using it will most likely be familiar with the HellFire ROM, one of the G2x's most loved custom ROMs. Now, it's the Galaxy S3′s turn to get a taste of the HellFire Jelly ROM, thanks to the XDA Developers member x0xhellx0x.
Based on CyanogenMod 10 (CM10), the HellFire Jelly ROM is definitely stable and incredibly fast. It has a lot goodies tacked onto it for users to explore and manipulate, such as Beats Audio, DropBox, Fancy Widget, Hellpaper, and a whole lot more. The default theme is a bad-ass red that fits awesomely with the HellFire name and graphic design. You can download more themes by going to the Google Play Store and searching for CM10 themes.
The ROM runs smoothly and doesn't seem to have any bugs, but with the big pack of apps comes a few that don't really work. They will be taken out in the next release, however. The video sound has also been reported to be rather soft and there's no option for changing the preferred quality. The developer is someone who really delivers to the community and listens to feedback, so you can look forward to these issues being addressed fairly quickly.
This guide shows you how to upgrade the Galaxy S3 T999 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via HellFire Jelly ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3, model number SGH-T999. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Download the HellFire Jelly ROM for the T-Mobile Galaxy S3 (Samsung_HFJ1.0Compleat.zip, 272 MB)
- Make sure your device's battery still has at least 70% power. You don't want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the HellFire Jelly ROM to the phone's internal SD card.
- Turn off the phone.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do so, hold down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons together until recovery boots.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your existing ROM. To do so, select Backup and Restore. On the next screen, select Backup again.
- Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card > Choose ZIP from SD card. Select the HellFire Jelly ROM ZIP file and confirm that you want to install it.
- Repeat steps 7 and 8.
- Select Advanced > Fix permissions.
- Go back to main recovery menu and select Reboot system now to restart your phone into the new ROM.
- Once fully booted, leave your phone untouched for about 5 to 10 minutes.
Awesome! You've now installed HellFire Jelly ROM on your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999.