Team Kang has been doing a wonderful job with providing the world with AOKP Jelly Bean custom ROMs for devices such as the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999, but some developers take Team Kang's work a step further by introducing additional features.
Such is the case in the kanged AOKP Jelly Bean for the T999 compiled by XDA Developers member drewtang. Much of the features are stock AOKP Jelly Bean, with a few cherry-picked features.
This custom ROM comes with the standard awesomeness that Jelly Bean brings but adds a few neat customization capabilities that makes this ROM extra special. It is still in its nightly stage, so there will certainly be a few snags and issues. For instance, some users report that their phones don't have network signal after booting the new ROM and that the IMEI value shows “unknown.” The developer advises rebooting the phone, which should fix the issue.
This guide shows you how to install a kanged version of AOKP Jelly Bean for the Galaxy S3 T999.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the T-Mobile
Samsung Galaxy S3, model number SGH-T999. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 with ClockworkMod Recovery
- A Windows PC
- Download the following files to your computer:
- AOKP ROM for T-Mobile Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 (aokp_d2tmo_jb-09-10_drewkang.zip, 135 MB)
- Google Apps package (gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip, 83.1 MB)
- Make sure your device's battery still has at least 70% power. You don't want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the ROM file and Google Apps package to your phone's internal SD card.
- Turn off the phone.
- Boot into Recovery Mode. To do so, hold down Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons together until the screen turns on, then let them go. In recovery, use the Volume buttons to scroll up/down and the Home button to select an option.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your existing ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Go back to main recovery menu after backup is complete.
- Select Wipe data/Factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card > Choose ZIP from SD card. Select the ROM's ZIP file and confirm that you want to install it.
- Repeat step 7 and install the Google Apps package in the same manner.
- Return to main recovery menu.
- Select Reboot system now to restart your phone into the new ROM.
Awesome! You have now installed drewtang's kanged AOKP Jelly Bean ROM on your T-Mobile Galaxy S3 SGH-T999.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.