We have seen numerous Jelly Bean-based custom ROMs for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999, a clear sign that the developer community has always been sensitive enough to address Android users' need for variety when it comes to custom ROMs. To add to that list is another custom ROM, this time, an AOKP ROM.
If you have been around Android communities for quite some time now, you've probably seen a number of custom ROMs — AOKP, CM10, and MIUI, to mention a few. Doing a bit of research can help you distinguish one ROM from another as each has its own distinct features and tricks up its sleeve. The number of custom ROMs grow each day and picking one out of the bunch will surely be a difficult feat to accomplish. Trying out ROMs will probably help you decide which one to stick to for daily use.
Lately, a new AOKP-based ROM called AOKP JellyBean + Butter has been released for the T-Mobile Galaxy S3. Compiled by Team Kang and XDA Developers member Whitehawkx, this AOKP ROM brings Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean to the T-Mobile handset. The latest ROM build includes kernel updates, fixes to framework and MMS issues, and a “Kill All” option for the Recent Apps switcher.
As is always the case with custom ROMs, some bugs may still be lurking around, although the developers are continuously squashing them and improving the ROM.
In this guide, learn how to upgrade the Galaxy S3 T999 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via AOKP JellyBean + Butter custom ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3, model number SGH-T999. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Your phones' USB cable.
- Download the following files to your computer:
- See to it that your phone's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the AOKP Jelly + Butter ROM package and the GApps package to your phone's internal SD card.
- Switch your phone off and boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons together until the screen turns on.
- NOTE: While in recovery, you may use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an item or option.
- Make a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. To create a backup, go to Backup and Restore and select Backup.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen. Wait for the process to finish.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card. Select Choose ZIP from SD card and locate the ROM package file. Select it and confirm the action on the next screen to start installing the ROM on your phone.
- Once installation of the ROM is done, install the GApps package in the same manner as in step 7.
- After installation is complete, select Go back and choose Reboot system now. This will reboot your phone to the newly installed ROM.
Awesome! You have successfully installed the AOKP Jelly Bean + Butter ROM on your T-Mobile Galaxy S3 SGH-T999. Have fun exploring the great features of this ROM on your equally great Android device.