Especially after devs have provided a way to flash ClockworkMod Recovery on and root the Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-I747 (AT&T), users will now be able to enjoy custom ROMs. XDA Developers member howtomen has released what is claimed to be the first-ever custom ROM for the AT&T Galaxy S3. It’s aptly named, too: Ultimatum S3.
The said custom ROM is based on stock AT&T firmware and has been deodexed, zipaligned, and pre-rooted. But, that’s not the juicy part: Ultimatum S3 is a debloated ROM, which means that stock Samsung apps that many users consider worthless or useless have been removed. The debloating, as expected, results in smaller ROM size and presumably improves performance on an already top-performing,
quad-core dual-core monster.
Other ROM features include an advanced reboot menu, scrolling wallpaper, a modified MMS app, modified WaterDrop sound, and no boot sound, among others.
Check out the Ultimatum S3 custom ROM on your AT&T Galaxy S3 SGH-I747. Our guide will walk you through its installation.
- The instructions for this guide are intended for use with AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3, model number SGH-I747. Applying these instructions on another device may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information on this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your unique and specific circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guidelines first before actually performing the instructions.
- AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-I747 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Make sure that the antivirus and firewall programs and Samsung KIES are disabled and/or uninstalled from your computer and phone respectively, to prevent disruptions during the updating process.
- Enable USB debugging on your AT&T Galaxy S3. You can do this from Settings > Developer’s option > USB Debugging on your phone.
- Back up all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your data. (eg., contacts, SMS, MMS, WI-Fi passwords and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases some data.
- See to it that your phone’s battery is charged to 60% or more. This is to make sure that your phone will not turn off during the entire process.
- Download the latest version of Ultimatum S3 custom ROM (s3_1.0.1_ultimatum.zip, md5sum: 01281cd2546db6371517b2ea7b68324d).
- Copy the ROM’s ZIP file into your phone’s internal SD Card.
- Boot your phone to ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Home, and Power button together until the screen turns on.
- Use the Volume buttons to scroll up and down and the Home/Power button to select an option.
- Backup your existing ROM by making a NANDroid backup. This will help you restore your previous ROM in Recovery Mode in case Ultimatum S3 does not work properly on your phone.
- To make a backup, select Backup and Restore. On the next screen, select Backup again, and wait until it finishes. Always remember that you need at least 1 GB of space for your internal SD Card to make a successful backup.
- Go back to main recovery menu.
- Select Wipe Data or Factory Reset, and select Yes to confirm. Wait for a couple of minutes until the data wipe completes.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP From SD Card. Locate the ROM file you’ve copied to your phone earlier, and select it. Confirm installation by clicking Yes on the next page.
- After installation is complete, select Go Back and Reboot System Now to restart your phone.
Congratulations! The Ultimatum S3 ROM has now been successfully installed on your AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3, model number SGH-I747. You may now enjoy using the special features provided by this ROM.