Usually, you are required 2 things before you can fully customize your Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-I535: root access and an unlocked bootloader. Doing so will let you customize your phone and do advanced things such as installing custom kernels and flashing custom ROMs. But, before you get your hands dirty with customizing your phone, you will first need to flash custom recovery on your mobile phone. This tool is essential when you want to play it safe and plan for an escape route when you come up against a road block while customizing your phone.
Senior XDA Developers member open1your1eyes0 shares a flashing guide on how to install both the non-touch and touch versions of ClockworkMod Recovery 18.104.22.168 for the Verizon Galaxy S3. You can use this tool to wipe your data, create partitions, create a backup, and flash custom ROMs or updates. Both recoveries are basically the same, except that the touch version allows you to use your phone's screen to interact with the tool. The non-touch version will require you to the use the Volume keys and the Power button to interact with the tool.
Both recoveries carry these new features:
In this guide, learn how to flash ClockworkMod Recovery 22.214.171.124 for the Galaxy S3 I535.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3, model number SCH-I535. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 with unlocked bootloader. For additional help, you may refer to our guide on how to unlock the bootloader of your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535.
- A Windows PC
- Handset USB drivers installed on the PC. You may install the drivers by installing Samsung Kies or by downloading it via Samsung’s Support page.
- Enable USB debugging on your handset.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Also disable Samsung Kies and other software that accesses your phone. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- Download the ClockworkMod Recovery image of your choice (choose one):
- ClockworkMod Recovery 126.96.36.199 (md5sum: F00F13606109284739AD8AAF19F5E3D9)
- ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 188.8.131.52 (md5sum: 929EEC3DB07CC578256447CC6E4ED124)
- Download Odin3 v3.07 (Odin307.zip, 1.2 MB)
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Extract Odin307.zip on your computer and you will get a folder named Odin307.
- Download the ClockworkMod Recovery file.
- If you downloaded a ZIP file, extract it to get the ODINRecovery.tar.md5 file.
- If you downloaded a MD5 or TAR file, proceed to the next step.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot your phone into Download mode. You can do that by pressing and holding down the Volume Down, Home, and Power buttons until a warning message appears on the screen. Press the Volume Up button to continue into Download Mode.
- Connect your phone to the computer via USB cable. The word “Added!!” will be displayed on Odin. This will indicate that your phone has successfully connected to the computer.
- Click the PDA button on Odin and locate and select the ODINRecovery.tar.md5.
- Make sure that “Re-partition” is not selected under Options.
- Once all are set, click Start to begin the installation process.
- Once installation is complete, your phone will automatically reboot. You will also get the “PASS” message on Odin.
- Disconnect your phone from the computer when the Samsung logo appears on the screen.
- You can now boot into ClockworkMod Recovery Mode. Turn off your phone. Press and hold down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons until recovery boots.
In case Odin becomes unresponsive or displays a “FAILED” message, do the following steps:
- Make sure you have complied to the requirements given above.
- Disconnect your phone from the computer and close Odin.
- Remove the phone's battery.
- Re-insert the phone's battery.
- Repeat the procedure above from step 4 onwards.
Congratulations! You have successfully flashed ClockworkMod Recovery 184.108.40.206 on your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535.