Finally, with its bootloader unlocked, the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 can now fully enjoy the benefit of getting more custom ROMs. This is all thanks to the dedication and hard work from the development community.
Android 4.1 Jelly Bean is on everyone's mind and with good reason. This most recent update is faster and smoother than previous Android versions. Even if this platform was based on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, the platform is absolutely unique. Everyone just wants to get a taste of it and now, you can too.
Among the first custom ROMs based on Android 4.1.1 is the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM. XDA Developers members kwes1020 and xoomdev compiled this unofficial AOKP build.
This ROM is not an official Samsung ROM but only a custom ROM. You may encounter some issues or bugs, and some features may not be available or may not be working.
This guide shows you how to upgrade the Galaxy S3 I535 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via AOKP Jelly Bean ROM (unofficial).
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with theVerizon Samsung Galaxy S3, model number SCH-I535. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 with an unlocked bootloader and ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Download the following:
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM and GApps package to the internal SD card of your phone.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot your Samsung Galaxy S3 into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do that by pressing and holding down the Volume Up button, Home button (middle key), and Power button until recovery boots.
- NOTE: While in recovery, use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. Go to Backup and Restore and select backup on the next screen. Wait until your phone completely creates a backup of your ROM.
- Perform a full wipe by doing the following:
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu. Select Install ZIP from SD card, then select Choose ZIP from SD card.
- Locate and select the file AOKP ROM file. Confirm the installation on the next screen to flash the ROM to your mobile phone.
- Once the installation is complete, repeat steps 6 and 7 to install gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip.
- Go back to the main menu and select Reboot system now to restart your phone.
- NOTE: If you would like to go back to your previous ROM. Boot your phone to Recovery Mode and choose Backup and Restore. Then choose your latest backup on the next screen.
Excellent job! You have successfully installed the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM based on Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean on your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535. Don't forget to post your comments below.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.