A few weeks ago, a surprise leak of the official Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean firmware for the T-Mobile Galaxy S3 SGH-T999 surfaced and it gave users a glimpse of how the official Android 4.1.1 ROM looks once it's officially released. Owners of the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 can also rejoice because the leaked T-Mobile Galaxy S3 firmware has been ported to the said phone, thanks to XDA Developers member myn.
If you want to try out the official T-Mobile Galaxy S3 Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean firmware on your Sprint Galaxy S3, then here's your chance to do it. What's even better is that the official ROM is already pre-rooted and retains much of the original software, including T-Mobile's exclusive applications.
Even though this is actually a leak of an official ROM, it still needs a lot of work and hence some bugs may still be present.
This guide shows you how to upgrade the GGalaxy S3 L710 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via port of SGH-T999 leaked firmware.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3, model number SPH-L710. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Rooted Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Need help with rooting and installing ClockworkMod Recovery? You can refer to these guides:
- Download the ported Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean firmware (myn_TMO_JellyBean_LI7_Leak_SPH_L710_09_15_2012.zip, md5sum: b117e45749c1df667f35042ca90a2dee)
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the ported Jelly Bean firmware package to your phone's internal SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can to this by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons together until ClockworkMod Recovery boots.
- NOTE: Use the Volume buttons to navigate and the Home button to select an option in recovery.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your existing ROM. In case something should not work out with this ROM, you can easily revert to your existing ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore and on the next screen, select Backup again. Head back to the main recovery after backup is complete.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset, then select Yes on the next screen to confirm data wipe.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card, then select Choose ZIP from SD card. Browse for the downloaded Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ZIP file and select it. Confirm the installation process by selecting Yes on the next screen to confirm the installation.
- Head back to the main recovery menu by selecting Go back.
- Select Reboot system now to reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the ported Android 4.1 Jelly Bean ROM on your Sprint Samsung Galaxy S3 SPH-L710.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.