Unwanted applications, or bloatware, definitely get in the way of a faster and smoother Android experience. They also eat up a lot of precious storage space. Getting rid of bloatware may be one of the reasons why people decide to root their Android devices.
We've featured several ROMs in the past, such as Clean ROM Lite and the Slim Bean ROM that offer a smoother, faster, and a bloatware-free Android experience. This time, we have VikingWay Snowstorm, a fast and light ROM made for the Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. It's based on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and it's super light at a little more than 400 MB. The developer of this ROM, XDA Developers memberschoolsux, promised that this is not just a light ROM but a functional one, as well.
This guide shows you how to flash VikingWay Snowstorm ROM for the Galaxy S3 I9300.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S3, model number GT-I9300. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A rooted Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Download the following to your computer:
- VikingWay V2 Snowstorm ROM (VikingWay_v2_Snowstorm.zip, md5sum: 07dcef31c85e08e40681b8f124a49a78)
- VikingWay V2.3 update (VikingWay_update_v2.3-CWM.zip, md5sum: 053ef0a612ded469e31bd83dd264309e)
- Make sure your device's battery still has at least 70% power. You don't want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the VikingWay Snowstorm ROM and the update file to your phone's internal SD card.
- Turn off your phone.
- Put it in Recovery Mode by holding the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons together until you see the Samsung Galaxy S III text on the screen.
- Note: While in Recovery Mode, use the Volume Buttons to navigate and the Power button to select options.
- Make a NANDroid Backup of your current ROM. Select Backup and Restore> Backup.
- Do a full data wipe:
- Select Wipe Data/ Factory Reset > Yes.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition > Yes.
- Select Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache > Yes.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP from SD Card and select the VikingWay Snowstorm ROM.
- Repeat step 6 to install the VikingWay v2.3 ROM update.
- Go back to the main menu and select Reboot System Now.
Congratulations! You've just flashed the VikingWay Snowstorm ROM to the Samsung Galaxy 3 GT-I9300.
Ken is an expert on management and is currently engrossed with his newly started adventure in logistics management. But, that's only his second love. His first love, of course, and without being mushy when this is said, is Android.