The latest official firmware to hit the Samsung Galaxy S3 comes in the form of Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich software version VLALH1 for the Bell Mobility variant, the SGH-I747M.
The new firmware is based on Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich, so those of you who are craving for the Jelly Bean update will just have to wait for a little longer.
Most people by now may already have downloaded the OTA (over-the-air) update or may have already upgraded via Samsung Kies, but those who are unable or unwilling to update through those routes can manually flash the update on their phones.
This guide shows you how to upgrade the Galaxy S3 I747M to Android 4.0.4 ICS build VLALH1.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Bell Samsung Galaxy S3, model number SGH-I747M. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Bell Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-I747M
- Download the following files:
- A Windows PC
- ZIP extraction software, such as 7-Zip or WinRAR, installed on your computer.
- Handset USB drivers installed on the PC. You may install the drivers by installing Samsung Kies.
- Enable USB debugging on your handset.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Also disable Samsung Kies and other software that accesses your phone. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Extract the I747MVLALH1_I747MOYCALH1_BMC.zip file to retrieve a file named KIES_HOME_I747MVLALH1_I747MOYCALH1_20120814.100513_REV04_user_low_ship.tar.md5.
- Extract the Odin3-v3.04.zip file and place the extracted files inside a folder.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot your phone into Download Mode. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Down, Home, and Power buttons together until you see a “Warning!!” message on your phone. Press the Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
- On your PC, launch Odin by double-clicking on the Odin3 v3.04.exe file found in the Odin folder.
- Connect your phone to your computer via USB cable. Wait for a couple of seconds for the drivers to be installed. If the installation is successful, you will see a message “Added!!” in Odin's message box found on the bottom left.
- In Odin, select the PDA button then browse for the KIES_HOME_I747MVLALH1_I747MOYCALH1_20120814.100513_REV04_user_low_ship.tar.md5 file and select it.
- NOTE: Do not touch or modify any other changes in Odin except the ones mentioned in this tutorial. Doing so will damage your phone permanently.
- Select the Start button in Odin to start flashing the firmware on your phone. After the installation is complete, your phone will automatically reboot. When you get past the Samsung logo, you can safely disconnect your phone from your computer. You will also get a “PASS” message in one of Odin's message boxes.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the official build VLALH1 of Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich on your Bell Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I747M.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.