Samsung rolls out Ice Cream Sandwich updates on a weekly or monthly basis. With Jelly Bean just around the corner, some Samsung devices are already getting their last treats of Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich before welcoming the new Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean update. It seems that the Korean manufacturer is pushing U.S. carriers to get the Jelly Bean update for its flagship device, the Galaxy S3, as soon as possible.
In the past few weeks, numerous Jelly Bean update leaks began surfacing for the T-Mobile Galaxy S3, as well as its international variant. Just recently, the Canadian Bell Galaxy S3 SGH-I747M has been added to the list of lucky devices with leaked Jelly Bean updates.
If you are one of the many users who just can't wait for the official update to hit your phone, then you can always take a sneak peek by manually installing the leaked Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean firmware VLALI update.
This guide shows you how to upgrade the Galaxy S3 I747M to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean build VLALI (leaked firmware).
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Bell Galaxy S3, model number SGH-I747M. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Bell Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-I747M running stock, non-rooted Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich build VLALH1 with stock Android recovery (not custom recovery)
- leaked Android 4.1.1 build VLALI OTA update for Bell Galaxy S3 (SGH-I747M_I747MVLALI-OTA-I747MVLALH_BMC_322447427.zip, 307.5 MB)
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left.
- A Windows PC
- Handset USB drivers installed on the PC. You may install the drivers by installing Samsung Kies.
- Enable USB debugging on your handset.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Also disable Samsung Kies and other software that accesses your phone. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- Any extracting software such as winzip or 7zip installed on your computer.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the update package ZIP file to your phone's internal storage (/sdcard).
- Shut down the phone completely.
- Reboot the phone into stock Android recovery by holding down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons until the Samsung logo flashes. When it does, release the Power button. The recovery menu should appear.
- Using the Volume buttons, highlight Apply update from SD card (or, if that menu item is unavailable, highlight Apply update from internal storage). Tap the Power button to select it.
- On the next screen, select the update package ZIP file that you copied to your phone's internal storage. Press the Power button to select it and begin upgrading.
- The upgrading process takes some time, usually around 4 to 8 minutes. Your phone will reboot when upgrading is complete.
- If the phone does not reboot automatically, select Reboot system now from the recovery menu.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the leaked Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean build VLALI on your Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-I747M.