AOKP is a well-known and well-respected ROM in the Android community for a variety of reasons. One of which is the ROM's many customized features that involve performance enhancements. Now, thanks to the efforts of XDA Developers members Task650 & Ktoonsez, AT&T and Rogers Galaxy S3 owners can enjoy an unofficial version of the AOKP ROM.
Task650 & Ktoonsez have been working on creating a stable and workable version of AOKP. This ROM is also being actively developed and updated by the developers, so expect more features and fixes in their next update. The recent update comes with new animation options, CyanogenMod's Chronus clock and weather widget, Navigation Bar color options, a few fixes from the older version, and more.
This guide shows you how to install AOKP Jelly Bean ROM for the Galaxy S3 I747.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-I747 or Rogers Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-I747M. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-I747 or Rogers Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-I747M with ClockworkMod Recovery installed. Check our guide on how to flash ClockworkMod Recovery for the Galaxy S3 I747.
- Download the following:
- AOKP Jelly Bean (aokp_JB_4.2_d2att-ota-eng.task650-1.17.2013.zip, md5sum: dc36f2b2ce9cd11b35420115216d0076)
- Google Apps package (gapps-4.2-jb-12.19.2012-signed.zip, md5sum: 5bd0f5b455caf436517e7a15549b1e60)
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Make sure that your phone's battery power is at least 50% to avoid interruption due to power loss that may cause damage to your phone.
- Copy aokp_JB_4.2_d2att-ota-eng.task650-1.17.2013.zip and gapps-4.2-jb-12.19.2012-signed.zip to your phone's internal SD card.
- Turn off your phone.
- Boot the phone into ClockworkMod Recovery by holding the Volume Up, Power, and Home buttons.Once in Recovery Mode, use the Volume keys to navigate through options and the Power button to select.
- Create a NANDroid Backup. Go to Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset > Yes.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition > Yes.
- Select Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache > Yes.
- Select Mounts and Storage > Format /system > Yes.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP from SD Card > locate and select aokp_JB_4.2_d2att-ota-eng.task650-1.17.2013.zip > Yes.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP from SD Card > locate and select gapps-aokp-JB-10.12.2012.zip > Yes.
- Select Go Back > Reboot System Now.
Congratulations! You just flashed the unofficial AOKP Jelly Bean preview build to the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-I747 or the Rogers Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-I747M.
Ken is an expert on management and is currently engrossed with his newly started adventure in logistics management. But, that's only his second love. His first love, of course, and without being mushy when this is said, is Android.