Exciting things happen when developers are at their creative best. These innovations pave the way to newer and better Android developments that can enrich and optimize our user experience. At the XDA Developers forum, developers are always at their creative best, especially for the Galaxy S3. Sometimes, a gorgeous and functional ROM is developed for a certain phone on a certain carrier and people will have to wait for months before it is ported to their own device's carrier. This ROM, however, makes sure that you don't have to wait to enjoy this ROM on your device. Fresh from XDA Developers member itsmikeramsay is the Illusion ROM and it is available for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535, the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999, and the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-I747.
The Illusion ROM is based on the latest Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean and it gives you access to those sweet Jelly Bean features and CyanogenMod 10.1 goodies. Performance-wise, the Illusion ROM runs smoothly and is stable enough for daily use. However, there are a few issues that need to be worked out, such as the camera, headphone jack not working during calls, lockscreen shortcut force closes, tethering, and MTP support.
This guide shows you how to flash Illusion ROM for the Galaxy S3.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3, model number SCH-I535, the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3, model number SGH-T999, or the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3, model number SGH-I747. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535, T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999, or AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-I747 with root access and with ClockworkMod Recovery installed. You can check out these guides for help:
- Download the appropriate Illusion ROM file for your phone model:
- Download Google Apps Package (gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip, md5sum: 304766ec134ad88e95d3ba40a84d34ad)
- Make sure your device's battery still has at least 70% power. You don't want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the appropriate Illusion ROM file and the Google Apps package to your phone's internal SD card.
- Turn off your phone.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery by holding the Volume Up, Power, and Home buttons.
- Create a NANDroid Backup. Go to Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset > Yes.
- Select Mounts and Storage > Format / system.
- Select Wipe Cache > Yes.
- Select Advanced > Wipe Dalvik Cache > Yes.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP from SD Card > Select the Illusion ROM.
- Select Install ZIP from SD Card > Choose ZIP from SD Card > Select the Google Apps package.
- Select Go Back > Reboot System Now.
Congratulations! You have flashed the Illusion ROM for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535, the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-T999, and the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S3 SGH-I747. Do you like this ROM? Let us know by leaving a comment.
Ken is an expert on management and is currently engrossed with his newly started adventure in logistics management. But, that's only his second love. His first love, of course, and without being mushy when this is said, is Android.