If you have the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535 and you've been bugged by the “No SIM” issue, then this is your lucky day. An official Verizon OTA update for software version VRALHD of Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich has been leaked recently. This is a very important over-the-air update for the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 and includes, among other things, a fix for the “No SIM card” issue plaguing the Verizon Galaxy S3.
XDA Developers member scrosler walked an extra mile with the leaked OTA update by creating pre-rooted versions of the ROM, either odexed or deodexed (to allow theming).
This guide shows you how to update the Galaxy S3 I535 to pre-rooted ICS build VRALHD (leaked official firmware).
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3, model number SCH-I535. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535.
- For those utilizing the ClockworkMod method, you will need the phone with root access, ClockworkMod Recovery and an unlocked bootloader. For help, check our guides below:
- A Windows PC
- Your phone's USB cable.
- Handset USB drivers installed on the PC. You may install the drivers by installing Samsung Kies or manually installing the USB Drivers for Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535.
- Enable USB debugging on your handset. Head on to Settings > Developer options > USB Debugging.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Also disable Samsung Kies and other software that accesses your phone. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- For flashing the stock non-rooted VRALHD ROM via Odin, download the following files:
- For flashing the stock pre-rooted VRALHD ROM via ClockworkMod Recovery, download one of the following:
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
Flashing VRALHD firmware via Odin
These instructions will flash stock, non-rooted Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich to your Verizon Galaxy S3 SCH-I535. This method will also wipe your phone's internal SD card, unroot the phone, and relock the bootloader. If you want the pre-rooted versions, see the next section.
- Extract Odin307.zip to your computer. You will get a folder named Odin307.
- Click Odin3 v3.07.exe file in the Odin307 folder to launch Odin.
- Switch off your phone.
- Reboot your phone into Download Mode. You can do that by simultaneously pressing the Volume Down, Home, and Power buttons until a “Warning!!” message appears on the screen. Press the Volume Up key to continue to Download Mode.
- Connect your phone to the computer. An “Added!!” message will appear on the screen. If that doesn't appear, make sure you have properly installed the USB drivers.
- Click the PDA button in Odin and locate the COMBINATION_I535VRALHD_I535VZWALHD_1092717_REV09_user_low_ship.tar.md5 file.
- NOTE: Make sure that “Re-partition” is not selected under Option.
- Click Start to flash the firmware to your phone.
- Your phone will automatically reboot. Once you see a “PASS” message on Odin, you can disconnect your phone from the computer.
Flashing VRALHD firmware via ClockworkMod Recovery
This method will flash pre-rooted VRALHD stock firmware. For this method, you will need to have an unlocked bootloader, root access, and ClockworkMod Recovery installed on your Verizon Galaxy S3 I535.
- Copy the Stock Root – VRALHD – DE_ODEX.zip or Stock Root – VRALHD – ODEX.zip to your phone's internal SD card.
- Turn off your phone and boot into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons until the screen turns on.
- NOTE: You can use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select while in Recovery Mode.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. Go to Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen. Wait for the process to finish.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card. Select Choose ZIP from SD card and locate and select the Stock Root – VRALHD – DE_ODEX.zip or Stock Root – VRALHD – ODEX.zip file. Confirm installation on the next screen.
- Once the installation is complete, go back to the main menu and select Reboot system now to reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You have now manually installed the leaked Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich software build VRALHD on your Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 SCH-I535.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.