With Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE GT-I9305 already out in select countries, developers are fast on their hands (and fingers) in creating custom ROMs to provide you with useful software updates, cool features, and bug fixes. What better way to enjoy this exquisite device than by customizing it to your heart's desire? And, naturally, the first step in that direction is to flash custom recovery.
XDA Developers member ausdim brings us ClockworkMod (CWM) Recovery for the Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE GT-I9305, plus optional root after flashing custom recovery. This custom recovery is a port of Chainfire's ClockworkMod Recovery 5.5 for the GT-I9300 and GT-I9300T.
The instructions are pretty straightforward but you will have to be careful with following the steps. The method described in this guide also increases the binary counter, which you can reset by using Chainfire's TriangleAway app.
This guide describes the steps for root and ClockworkMod Recovery for the Galaxy S3 LTE I9305.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE, model number GT-I9305. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE GT-I9305
- A Windows PC
- Handset USB drivers installed on the PC.
- Enable USB debugging on your handset.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Also disable Samsung Kies and other software that accesses your phone. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- Make sure your device's battery still has at least 70% power. You don't want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Download the following files to your computer:
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
Flashing ClockworkMod Recovery
- Extract the Odin3.zip file on your computer. You will get a folder named Odin3.
- Turn your phone off.
- Reboot your phone to Download Mode. To boot to Download Mode, hold down Volume Down, Home, and the Power buttons at the same time. Once you see a “Warning” message on the screen press the Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
- When you've entered Download Mode, go to the Odin3 folder and double-click the Odin3 v3.04.exe file to launch Odin on your computer.
- Connect your phone to the computer using your USB cable and wait for Windows to install the drivers. An “Added!” message will appear on Odin.
- If your computer fails to detect your phone, check if the drivers have been installed or use a different USB port on your computer.
- Click on the PDA button in Odin and select the I9305_CWM_Recovery.tar.md5 file you downloaded. Don't make any other changes aside from this.
- Hit the Start button in Odin to flash ClockworkMod Recovery on your phone. Once you're done, your phone will automatically restart. Don't unplug the cable unless you see the “PASS” message on the top-left part of Odin.
- If you encounter a “FAIL” message from Odin or the program does not initiate, don't panic. Simply disconnect your phone from the computer and close Odin. Afterwards, remove your phone's battery and re-insert it, and repeat the steps from step 3 onwards.
- To test if you have successfully installed CWM Recovery, turn your phone off, hold down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons at the same time until your display screen turns on. Your phone should boot into CWM recovery.
- Copy the CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip file to your phone's internal storage.
- Turn your phone off.
- Boot into CWM Recovery by holding down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons together. Once you're in Recovery Mode, use the Volumebuttons to scroll up and down and the Power button to select an option.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card > Choose ZIP from SD card. Scrolling to the CWM-SuperSU-v0.96.zip file and select it. Select Yes to confirm installation.
- After installing the file, select Go back before selecting Reboot system now to restart your phone.
Some folks have experienced not getting ClockworkMod Recovery to stick after flashing. According to sources, some versions of Samsung firmware for the GT-I9305 has the /system/boot-recovery.p file, which is responsible for checking whether the phone's recovery is still stock and if not, reflash stock recovery. This file needs to be made inaccessible in order for ClockworkMod Recovery to stick after flashing. You will need a file manager app for these steps (e.g., ES File Explorer or ASTRO File Manager).
If you run into similar trouble, you can try the steps below:
- Perform the steps for flashing ClockworkMod Recovery.
- When you reach the part where the phone reboots after flashing, let it boot to the Samsung logo for about 2 to 3 seconds, then hold down the Power button until the phone shuts down without booting to Normal Mode.
- Reboot to Recovery Mode. This should take you to ClockworkMod Recovery.
- Flash the rooting package, as in step 4 in the instructions for rooting.
- Reboot the phone to Normal Mode.
- Use your file manager app to mount the /system directory with read/write permissions.
- Rename /system/boot-recovery.p to /system/boot-recovery.p.bak to make the file inaccessible.
- Flash ClockworkMod Recovery again. It should stick this time and will no longer be overwritten with stock recovery.
Et voila! You have successfully rooted your Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE GT-I9305 and flashed ClockworkMod Recovery.