Another Jelly Bean-based custom ROM was released for the hottest phone today, the Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. Considering that it has been weeks since Jelly Bean custom ROMs emerged for this phone, development of other ROMs is still going on. With the Galaxy S3′s celebrity status, it is no wonder that custom ROMs come popping out almost every other day. This is one thing the owners of the Galaxy S3 should rejoice about.
When we go to the topic of custom ROMs, we'll probably need a whole website to describe each and every custom ROM out there because each of them has its own features, strengths, and weaknesses. Many of us have heard and probably used AOKP and CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) ROMs, two of the most-used and most-known custom ROMs in the Android community. Adding to that list are MIUI ROMs, and today, we'll be showing you how you can install a custom ROM based on both MIUI and CM10.
In this guide, learn how to flash the JiMIUI JB v2 custom ROM on the Galaxy S3 I9300.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S3, model number GT-I9300. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 with ClockworkMod Touch Recovery installed.
- Your phone's USB cable.
- Download the following files:
- See to it that your phone's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the JiMIUI JB v2 ROM package, Framework_Fix.zip, Framework_Fix_2.zip, and the GApps package to your phone's internal SD card.
- Turn your phone off and boot into ClockworkMod Touch Recovery. To do this, press and hold down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons together until recovery boots.
- NOTE: You can use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an item or option in recovery.
- Make a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. To create a backup, go to Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen. Wait for the process to finish.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and locate the JIMIUI_JB_v2_T.zip file. Select the file and confirm the action on the next screen to start installing the ROM on your phone.
- After installation of the ROM is finished, install the GApps package in the same manner as in steps 5 and 6.
- Once installation of GApps is done, select Go back and choose Reboot system now. This will reboot your phone.
- NOTE: You might notice that the phone will not boot. This is expected since the ROM doesn't have a framework. You will need to turn off your phone and reboot back to Recovery Mode (as in step 2).
- Once in recovery, flash the Framework_Fix.zip.
- Reboot your phone.
- Go back again into Recovery Mode and follow step 11. But this time, flash the Framework_Fix_2.zip.
- Reboot your phone.
Great job! You have successfully installed the JiMIUI JB v2 ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. If you have tried other custom ROMs like AOKP and CM10, how does this ROM differ? How do you find the ROM so far? Let us know your thoughts by leaving a comment below.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.