When Android 4.1 Jelly Bean was released, developers couldn't wait to build their own custom versions of this great mobile operating system. Everyone knows that Android 4.1 is the fastest and smoothest version of Android yet. The developers of Jelly Bean enhanced the simplicity and beauty of this firmware based on Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Android 4.0 was modified to render Android's best performance and lowest touch latency, in an effortless, intuitive UI, to become Jelly Bean today.
While we are still waiting for updates from Samsung for the Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300, custom ROM developers are releasing their own custom ROMs based on Android 4.1. Developers like Faryaab of XDA Developers Forum already brought out an unofficial AOKP ROM for the Samsung S3. Thanks to these developers, we are able to experience firsthand the improvements and new features of Android 4.1 Jelly Bean.
Since we also want you to experience Jelly Bean, we prepared the step-by-step instructions below on how you can have the AOKP ROM flashed on your Samsung S3. However, we would like to inform you that this ROM is based on the Android source and not Samsung firmware. It is possible that you may bump into a few bugs and issues.
In this guide, learn how to upgrade the Galaxy S3 I9300 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via AOKP ROM (unofficial preview build).
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S3, model number GT-I9300. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Download the following:
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the AOKP ROM and GApps package ZIP files to your phone’s internal SD card.
- Switch off your mobile phone.
- Reboot your Samsung Galaxy S3 into ClockworkMod Recovery. You can do that by pressing and holding down the Volume Up key, Home button (middle key), and Power button until recovery boots
- NOTE: While in recovery, use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select an option.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. Go to Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen. Wait until your phone completely creates a backup of your ROM.
- Perform a full wipe by doing the following:
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu. Select Install ZIP from SD card then select Choose ZIP from SD card.
- Locate and select the AOKP ROM file. Confirm the installation on the next screen.
- Once the installation is complete, redo step 6 using the GApps package.
- Go back to the main menu and select Reboot system now to restart your phone.
That wasn't too hard, was it? You have successfully installed the AOKP ROM based on Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean on your Samsung Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300.