The universal search feature that came out in previous software versions of Android 4.0.4 Ice Cream Sandwich was removed, starting in firmware build XXBLG6. That feature could have allowed you to search through your local data such as your contacts, messages and your apps. Talk about handy! Thankfully, Samsung has decided to restore the universal search feature by rolling out Android 4.0.4 XXBLG8 for Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300 devices.
The firmware is from UK/Europe but you don't need to be from that part of the world to enjoy your universal search function early. Simply keep reading for our instructions on how to get this firmware on your international version of the Galaxy S3.
In this guide, learn how to upgrade the Galaxy S3 I9300 to ICS build XXBLG8 and restore Google universal search feature.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S3, model number GT-I9300. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300
- A Windows PC
- Handset USB drivers installed on the PC. You may install the drivers by installing Samsung Kies.
- Enable USB debugging on your handset.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Also disable Samsung Kies and other software that accesses your phone. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- Download the following:
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Extract the Android 4.0.4 XXBLG8 firmware ZIP file to obtain the I9300XXBLG8_I9300OXABLG8_I9300XXLG8_HOME.tar.md5 file.
- Extract the Odin3_v3.04.zip to obtain Odin3 v3.04.exe.
- Turn off your Galaxy S3.
- Put your phone in Download Mode. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Down, Home, and Power buttons until the screen turns on. Press Volume Up to enter into Download Mode.
- On your computer, double click on Odin3 v3.04.exe to launch it
- Connect your phone to your computer. You should see an “Added!!” message on the Odin window.
- If you don't get this message, make sure that the drivers were correctly installed.
- If you are using a desktop computer, you can also try the USB ports on the back of the CPU case.
- Click the PDA button and select the I9300XXBLG8_I9300OXABLG8_I9300XXLG8_HOME.tar.md5 file.
- NOTE: Do not change any other setting in Odin. Make sure the
“Re-partition” box has not been selected.
- Click Start in Odin to begin flashing the firmware.
- When flashing is done, you should see a “PASS” message on the Odin window. Your Galaxy S3 should also automatically reboot.
- You can disconnect your phone from your computer when you see the Samsung logo.
If Odin freezes or if you receive a FAIL message, do the following:
- Disconnect the phone from the PC.
- Close Odin.
- Remove the phone's battery for 4 to 5 seconds.
- Re-insert the phone's battery.
- Boot your phone into Download Mode again.
- Repeat the main procedure from step 5.
If you get stuck at the boot animation, do the following:
- Boot into Recovery Mode. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons until the screen turns on.
- NOTE: In Recovery Mode, you can use the Volume keys to navigate and the Power button to select.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and Confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partition and Confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Reboot System Now.
Congratulations! Your Samsung Galaxy S3 is now running on Android 4.0.4 XXBLG8 firmware. Enjoy your newly returned Search feature!