Previously, we tackled how to upgrade your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989, bringing the features of Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich right to your mobile phone. With your phone already updated to the latest version, let’s now talk about how to flash ClockworkMod Recovery and gain root access on your mobile phone. These features will help you flash custom ROMs and fully customize your Android phone.
XDA Developers senior member asting shares a guide on how to gain root access on your phone. This guide will require you to flash ClockworkMod Recovery, which will then be used to flash the root package.
If you want to fully optimize your Android phone, read on to learn how to flash ClockworkMod Recovery and root your Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2, model number SGH-T989. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 running Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich UVLE1 firmware.
- A Windows PC
- Download and install the USB drivers on your computer (T-Mobile_t989_GSII_ADB_Drivers.zip, 22.8 MB).
- Close all system tools such as anti-virus software, firewall programs, and Samsung KIES to avoid interruptions throughout the procedure.
- Enable USB debugging on your phone.
- Charge your phone’s battery to 75% or more.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Download the following files to your computer:
- Copy the Root.zip file to the phone’s internal SD card.
- Extract Odin3-v1.85.zip into a folder on your computer.
- Go to the folder where you extracted Odin and double-click Odin3 v1.85.exe to launch Odin on your computer.
- Switch off your Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989.
- Reboot your phone into Download Mode. You can do that by pressing the Volume Down and Volume Up keys. Keep the buttons pressed and connect your phone to the computer via USB cable. Wait until Download Mode boots.
- You will get the message “Added” in Odin. If it doesn’t appear, make sure you have properly installed the USB drivers on your computer.
- Click the PDA button and locate the recovery-cmw-hercules.tar.
- NOTE: Do not make any unnecessary changes in Odin. Doing so will likely brick your phone.
- Click the Start button in Odin to flash ClockworkMod Recovery to your mobile phone.
- You will get a “PASS” message in Odin. Your phone will automatically reboot.
- Switch off your phone
- Press the Volume Up key, Volume Down key, and Power button to reboot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery.
- In Recovery Mode, select Install ZIP From SD Card > Choose ZIP From SD Card and locate the Root.zip file. Confirm the action on the next screen to initiate the rooting process.
- Once done, go back to the main menu and select Reboot System Now to restart your phone.
Congratulations! You have successfully flashed ClockworkMod Recovery and gained root access on your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989. You now have a full power over your Android phone.