An Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean-based MIUI custom ROM has now been released for the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989. Developed by MIUI.us, this particular ROM comes with a rather intuitive design and a whole lot of great features and tweaks. Do note that this is not an official ROM and is still undergoing development so there will be bugs and issues.
The latest version, MIUI v4.1 2.9.14, brings a lot of fixes to the bugs and issues in the previous version (2.9.7). For instance, the issue of force closes when resizing widgets have been resolved. Various other force close issues have also been patched. US weather has also been added to the MIUI Weather app.
This guide shows you how to flash MIUI v4.1 for the Galaxy S2 T989.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2, model number SGH-T989. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 with ClockworkMod Recovery
- Download the following files:
- MIUI v4.1 2.9.14 ROM for the T989 (MIUI.us_hercules_v4.1_18.104.22.168_Eng_Deo_ZipA_Signed_0xD34D.zip, md5sum: 9df7115c3c2e945b4ad6b12b8bed7382)
- DarkSide’s Super Wipe scripts (SGH-T989_DARKSIDE.SUPER.WIPE_EXT4.zip, 1.12 MB)
- Make sure your device's battery still has at least 70% power. You don't want the device to shut down in the middle of the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the ROM file and the DarkSide's Super Wipe ZIP file to your phone's internal SD card.
- Turn off the phone.
- Boot into ClockworkMod Recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power keys together until the phone turns on.
- Create a NANDroid Backup of your existing ROM. To perform a backup, select Backup and Restore > Backup.
- Select Wipe data/Factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card > Choose ZIP from SD card. Scroll to and select SGH-T989_DARKSIDE.SUPER.WIPE_EXT4.zip. Select Yes to confirm. This will wipe your phone data.
- Select Install ZIP from SD card > Choose ZIP from SD card. Select the ROM's ZIP file and confirm that you want to install it.
- Return to the main recovery menu.
- Select Reboot system now to restart your phone.
Awesome! You've now installed the MIUI v4.1 ROM on your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.