The Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) update for T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 has been rolled out, bringing the latest treats of ICS right to your mobile phone. You can receive the updates over-the-air (OTA) or via Samsung Kies. But, if you want to do it manually, you can follow our step-by-step guide below.
Senior XDA developer xsteven77x has managed to package latest update so you can flash it via Odin to your mobile phone. Read on to learn how to flash the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich T989UVLE1 firmware to your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2, model number SGH-T989. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989
- A Windows PC
- A RAR archive extraction tool such as WinRAR,7-Zip, or any similar tool installed on your computer
- Download and install the USB drivers on your computer (T-Mobile_t989_GSII_ADB_Drivers.zip, 22.8 MB).
- Disable system tools such as antivirus software, firewall program, and Samsung Kies to avoid interruptions while you update your phone.
- Enable USB debugging on your phone.
- Charge your phone’s battery to 70% or more.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Download the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich T989UVLE1 firmware here or here (SGH-T989_TMB_1_20120608172207_ugy1nehf4g.zip, md5sum: B6DD110BD2F6CF6AB6DFC0D834439B65).
- Download Odin3 v1.85 (Odin.rar, 171 kB)
- Extract SGH-T989_TMB_1_20120608172207_ugy1nehf4g.zip file to get the T989UVLE1_T989TMBLE1_T989UVLE1_HOME.tar.md5 file (md5sum: A203B403B26C8790F7080407524FC80A).
- Extract Odin.rar into a folder on your computer.
- Go to the extracted folder and double-click Odin3 v1.85.exe to launch Odin on your computer.
- Turn off your phone.
- Reboot your phone into Download Mode. To do that, you will need to press the Volume Up key and Volume Down key simultaneously. Connect your phone to the computer via the USB cable while keeping the buttons pressed until Download Mode boots.
- The word “Added” will appear in Odin. If it doesn’t appear, make sure you have properly installed the USB drivers on your computer.
- Click the PDA button in Odin and locate the T989UVLE1_T989TMBLE1_T989UVLE1_HOME.tar.md5.
- NOTE: Do not make any unnecessary changes in Odin. Only “Auto-Reboot” and “F. Reset Time” should be checked under Option.
- Once all are set, click the Start button to begin flashing the ROM to your mobile phone.
- After installation is complete, you will get the message “PASS.” Your phone will automatically reboot. The initial boot will take longer than usual.
- If your phone is stuck at the Samsung logo for about 10-15 minutes, you can solve this problem by doing the following:
- Remove the phone’s battery and reinsert it.
- Press and hold the Volume Up key, Volume Down key, and Power button to reboot your phone into recovery mode.
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Reboot System Now to restart your phone.
Voila! You have updated your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 to official Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich T989UVLE1 firmware. You can now enjoy the features of ICS right on your mobile phone.