If you’re bored with the current ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, consider trying a new custom ROM on your phone to give it some twist. Here’s a new Ice Cream Sandwich-based AOKP ROM (unofficial) for your phone to give you that amazing stock Android 4.0 experience along with great customized features.
XDA Developers senior member InstigatorX decided to mix up some source code to come up with a personal AOKP build for the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. He took the AOKP source and compiled it with other stuff including important fixes for the phone from the CyanogenMod team. Eventually, he started releasing unofficial builds, updating them just as the official AOKP ROM.
Despite this ROM’s being an unofficial build, it still features the performance tweaks and customization features that official AOKP ROMs have. On the other hand, since it is still under development, users are cautioned that there are still bugs and issues in the ROM. One major issue about the ROM is that the camera is not working, but you can go around this snag by installing a third-party camera app. Apart from that, everything is smooth.
If you want to continue and install this ROM see the requirements and instructions below.
- A rooted Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727 with ClockworkMod Recovery and running the radio firmware from software version UCLE2. See these guides for help:
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Make sure that your battery has at least 70% charge to avoid interruption due to power loss.
- Download the following to your computer:
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, model number SGH-I727. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Copy the ROM file, Google Apps Package, and DarkSide Super Wipe ZIP files to the internal SD card of your phone.
- Turn off your phone.
- Boot your phone to ClockworkMod Recovery by pressing the Volume Up key, the Volume Down key, and Power button together.
- NOTE: Once in recovery, use the Volume buttons to navigate and the Power button to select an option.
- Select Install ZIP From SD Card. Select Choose ZIP From SD Card and select the DARKSIDE.SUPER.WIPE_EXT4.zip file that you copied to the phone. Select Yes to confirm the installation. This will wipe the necessary partitions on your phone.
- Go back to the main menu and select Mounts and Storage. From there, select Format Cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Install ZIP From SD Card and flash the aokp_skyrocket_build-38-061712.zip file. Confirm the action on the next screen to flash the ROM to your mobile phone.
- Return to the main menu and flash the GApps in the same manner as in step 6.
- Once everything is complete, return to the main menu and select Reboot System Now to restart your phone.
Enabling Data Connection After Boot Up
After your phone boots up you have to re-enable the data connection right away. To do this, follow the instructions below.
- Go to System Settings > More (under Wireless & Networks) >Mobile Networks > Access Point Names.
- Select the WAP APN and make the following changes:
- Set the APN to PTA.
- Leave the Username blank or empty.
- Set MMSC value to http://mmsc.mobile.att.net.
- Set the MMS Proxy to proxy.mobile.att.net
- Tap the Menu button.
- Select Save.
- After a few seconds the data should be up and working well.
Hooray! You can now enjoy this unofficial AOKP ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727.