Install MIUI Gingerbread on AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
The AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket will soon blast into space with a new added twist when it comes to custom ROMs. Once again MIUI is penetrating another set of devices, and this time around, it found its way to the popular Galaxy S2 Skyrocket from AT&T.
MIUI is a unique UI with a whole set of fantastic features with eye-candy themes and icons. Galaxy S2 Skyrocket owners can now have that pleasure with the brand new MIUI ROM.
Developed by XDA Developers member iandr0idos, the MIUI ROM is primarily based on Android 2.3 Gingerbread. Sorry, Ice Cream Sandwich fans–this isn’t what you’re expecting yet. But, with the gorgeous eye-popping themes and colors of MIUI, this ROM will certainly entertain you to your heart’s desire.
The ROM is still in its early stages and is not yet recommended for daily use. Among the issues reported by the developer are the following: erratic mobile network (may or may not work), non-working camera, audio in calls don’t work, and Wi-Fi sometimes misbehaves. (For the latter issue, there’s a suggested workaround. Check the original development thread for more info.)
- Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727, rooted and with ClockworkMod Recovery installed. (Need help with rooting? See this guide.)
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left.
- Backup of your personal phone data.
- Download the latest version (Alpha 1) of MIUI ROM for the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket here and save it to your PC. Do not extract the file or modify it in any way.
- Connect your phone to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the ROM package to the internal storage of your phone (not the microSD card).
- Power down your phone.
- Reboot the phone into recovery mode. You can enter recovery mode by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons together until you see the Samsung splash screen.
- Create a Nandroid Backup of your existing ROM. Do this via “Backup and restore” option in recovery mode. Better safe than sorry.
- Select “wipe data/factory reset”. Confirm the operation on the next screen.
- Select “install zip from sdcard”.
- Select “choose zip from sdcard”.
- Locate the MIUI package that you copied to the phone earlier and select the file.
- Confirm that you want to flash the file. It may take several minutes for the installation process to finish.
- Select “go back”.
- Select “reboot system now” to reboot your phone.
Congratulations! You successfully installed MIUI (based on Android 2.3 Gingerbread) on your Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. Enjoy the eye-popping visuals and fantastic themes that this ROM has to offer.