The AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727 has already been blessed with Jelly Bean goodness via two of the most known and most used ROMs, CyanogenMod 10 (CM10) and AOKP. Recently, the phone got another helping of the oh-so-awesome Jelly Bean ROM from CM10 with extras mixed in. TeamChopsticks has released an unofficial Jelly Bean 4.1.1 CM10 ROM and it is waiting to be tried out.
Jelly Bean has been known to have a smooth as butter interface and faster performance, fitting for newer phones and even the older ones. Owning a smartphone will surely pay off as long as you won't experience any lag when you swipe through your phone or when you launch apps.
The ROM is still in its alpha stage and a number of things don't work. For starters, the camera and torch do not work at all so don't be surprised if you can't snap photos after installing the ROM. But, as sure as the sun rises, the ROM's bugs will be fixed.
In this guide, learn how to upgrade the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket I727 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via CyanogenMod 10 (unofficial).
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, model number SGH-I727. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- An AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727 with ClockworkMod Touch Recovery installed
- Your phone's USB cable.
- Download the following files:
- Make sure your phone's battery is charged up to 75% or more to avoid interruptions during the process.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the CM10 ROM and the GApps (Google Apps) package to your phone's internal SD card.
- Switch your phone off and boot into ClockworkMod Touch Recovery. To do this, press and hold the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons together until recovery boots.
- Make a NANDroid backup of your current ROM in case of problems with this ROM. To create a backup, go to Backup and Restore and select Backup.
- [Skip this step if you're upgrading from a previous build of this ROM.] Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen. Wait for the process to finish.
- Select Mounts and Storage and select Format /system
- Return to the main menu and select Install ZIP from SD card. Select Choose ZIP from SD card and navigate to the ROM ZIP file and select it. Confirm the action on the next screen to start installing the ROM on your phone.
- After installation is done, install the GApps package in the same manner as in step 6.
- Return to the main recovery menu. Select Mounts and storage > Format /cache and confirm the formatting of the cache partition.
- Once installation is complete, select Go back and select Reboot system now. This will reboot your phone to the newly installed ROM.
- Leave the phone untouched for a few minutes after it has rebooted to allow the ROM to completely finish its post-installation tasks.
Awesome! You have successfully installed the unofficial CyanogenMod 10 ROM on your AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727. Enjoy the features of Jelly Bean together mixed in with the great features of CM10.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.