The Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727 will be receiving the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update real soon and in two flavors: the official version (from AT&T and Samsung) and the unofficial version (via custom ROMs). In order to flash such updates manually and without using OTA, you need to have recovery software installed on your phone.
One of the popular recovery tools out there is TWRP Recovery. What makes it popular is the fact it features a touch user interface, which is a relief from stock recovery or from ClockworkMod Recovery's button-mashing navigation. Having such a recovery tool is vital as it is the stepping stone in the road to customization.
This guide shows you how to flash TWRP Recovery for the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket I727.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, model number SGH-I727. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727
- Download the following files to your computer:
- A Windows PC
- Handset USB drivers installed on the PC. You may install the drivers by installing Samsung Kies.
- Enable USB debugging on your handset.
- Disable antivirus, firewall, and other security software. Also disable Samsung Kies and other software that accesses your phone. Such software can interfere with the procedure in this guide.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Extract the Odin3-1.85.zip file and place the extracted files inside a folder on your computer.
- Launch the Odin application by double-clicking Odin 1.85.exe.
- Switch off your phone.
- Connect the other end of the USB cable to the PC.
- Press and hold down the Volume Up and Volume Down keys on your phone.
- While pressing the Volume keys, connect the other end of the USB cable to your phone. You will then see a “Warning” message on the next screen. Release the Volume keys.
- Press the Volume Up key to enter Download Mode.
- You will see an “Added!!” message in Odin. If this doesn't appear, make sure you have properly installed the USB drivers.
- Click the PDA button in Odin, and browse for and select the recovery.tar.md5 file that you have downloaded earlier.
- Check “Auto Reboot” under Options. The other checkboxes should not be ticked.
- Hit the Start button in Odin to begin flashing TWRP Recovery on your device. Your phone will reboot when the installation is finished.
- When the Samsung logo appears on the screen, disconnect your phone from your computer.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed TWRP Recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.