If there’s one thing people love about Android, it’s how easy it is to customize. Developers create amazing ROMs that target aesthetics and performance, as well as boost an already good software with extra oomph. But, to get these ROMs onto your Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket, you’ll need custom recovery.
One of the leading custom recoveries on the Internet is ClockworkMod Recovery which allows you to make backups of your existing ROM, wipe your cache clean, and even flash ROMs and hacks to your heart’s desire.
What’s even better, with the advent of touch-based ClockworkMod Recovery, you no longer need to mash your Galaxy S2 Skyrocket’s physical buttons to navigate through recovery mode. In fact, you’ll only need your fingertips, so you can finally give your Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket’s buttons a break. We’ve got XDA Developers member tpmullan to thank for bringing Koush Dutta’s ClockworkMod Touch Recovery to the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket.
These instructions are compatible with the both the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (SGH-I727) and Rogers Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (SGH-I727R) only. You may check your device’s model number through “Settings > About Phone.” If your phone is neither of these two compatible handsets, please do not attempt to flash this software to your phone as it may lead to bricking.
Use these instructions at your own risk. Do not hold us responsible for any damage.
- A rooted AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (SGH-I727) or Rogers Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (SGH-I727R).
- A Windows PC
- Flashing this ROM may delete data on your phone so create a backup of all your important data.
- Make sure your Galaxy S2 Skyrocket’s battery is fully charged. This prevents the device from shutting off in the middle of the update process.
- Make sure that you’ve got the appropriate phone drivers installed on your computer.
- Disable all security suites (e.g., antivirus and firewalls) on your computer.
- Disable Samsung KIES on your computer.
- Download Odin3 1.85 (Odin 1.85.zip , 198.58 kB) to your computer.
- Download ClockworkMod Touch Recovery for the Galaxy S2 Skyrocket (recovery-clockwork-touch-22.214.171.124-hercules.tar, 5.94 MB) to your computer.
- Unzip the Odin3 ZIP package into a folder on your computer.
- Double-click on the Odin3 executable file to launch the program.
- Plug your USB cable into the computer, but don’t connect it to your Galaxy S2 Skyrocket just yet.
- Turn off your Galaxy S2 Skyrocket.
- Put your phone in download mode (also called Odin mode):
- For SGH-I727 — Hold down the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons on the phone as you plug in the other end of the USB cable into the phone. Release the buttons when the Download Mode screen appears. Press the Volume Up button to enter Download Mode.
- For SGH-I727R — Hold down the Volume Down button on the phone as you plug the other end of the USB cable into the phone. Press the Volume Up key to enter Download Mode.
- On the Odin3 window, the ID:COM box should turn yellow and you should see an “Added!” message in the lower left box. If you don’t, then you may need to check the drivers.
- Click on the PDA button.
- Select the recovery-clockwork-touch-126.96.36.199-hercules.tar file.
- Don’t change any of Odin3’s settings.
- Click the Start button in Odin3 to begin flashing.
- If flashing is successful, you should see the upper leftmost box on the Odin3 window light up in green with a “PASS” message.
- If you see the upper leftmost box on the Odin window light up in red with a “FAIL” message, or if Odin doesn’t seem to be doing anything, do the following:
- Disconnect your Galaxy S2 Skyrocket from the computer.
- Close Odin.
- Remove your Galaxy S2 Skyrocket’s battery.
- Re-insert the battery.
- Repeat the procedure from step 5.
- Your phone should automatically reboot. You can disconnect your Galaxy S2 Skyrocket from the computer when you see the Samsung logo on the screen.
Congratulations! You now have the latest ClockworkMod Touch Recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727/SGH-I727R.