Install ClockworkMod Touch Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
Touch is definitely in and ClockworkMod touch-enabled recovery is on a roll. After hitting both the Nexus S and the Galaxy Nexus, it was only a matter of time before it reached the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket on AT&T.
sk8erwitskil, a member of XDA Developers, has managed to port the touch-enabled recovery from the Galaxy Nexus to the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. The port is still in its beta stage, but testers have reported it to be working fine and were able to flash without any problems.
Before you get too excited, it’s important to note that what we’re covering today is the “fakeflash” version, which means that it won’t actually be replacing the recovery installed on your phone. This preview, however, will allow you to test the touch-based port without affecting your original ClockworkMod Recovery.
The color is a little off at the moment but everything should work as it should. You’ll be able to not only use the volume rockers and the soft keys at the bottom of the screen, but you’ll also be able to use the capacitive buttons and swiping motions to navigate through recovery mode. The developer is still hard at work at fixing some bugs and adding a few minor tweaks, so be on the look out for a release of the actual recovery.
This port is only compatible with the AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket model SGH-I727. Please do not attempt to flash this on other devices, as it may render them unusable. You may check your phone’s model number through “Settings > About device”.
You’ll need to satisfy these requirements before you can begin the installation process:
- Rooted Skyrocket with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- A fully charged battery, to make sure that your device will not shut off in the middle of the update process.
- Make sure to back up any important information on your phone, in the event data may be lost or corrupted during the update process.
- ClockworkMod Touch Recovery Beta for Skyrocket.
If you have all the requirements, you may now proceed to installing the touch-enabled ClockworkMod Recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket:
- Download ClockworkMod Touch Recovery for Skyrocket from the link above. Save the ZIP file to your computer.
- Connect your phone to the computer via the USB cable.
- Copy the ZIP file into the root of your device’s SD card.
- Power off the phone.
- Boot into recovery.
- Create a backup of your existing ROM by selecting Backup & Restore > Backup.
- Navigate to “Install zip from SD Card”.
- Select the touch based ClockworkMod Recovery ZIP file and confirm that you want to start installation.
Congratulations! Once the file has finished flashing, you’ll now be able to test the touch-based ClockworkMod Recovery on your Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket. You may try a backup or installing a custom ROM. The phone will return to the original ClockworkMod Recovery the next time you reboot into recovery.