Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727 owners who just flashed the leaked Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware UCALC4 ROM might have experienced losing root privileges on their devices. With every official update rolling out every now and then, rooting methods for past firmware tend to not work on newer ones.
Well, here’s some good news: Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket owners who have upgraded their phones to the leaked Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich ROM can now once again gain root access.
Check out the guide below to learn how you can root your Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket running on Ice Cream Sandwich.
Rooting your device will void your warranty. We are not held responsible if anything should happen to your device while following the guide below. Proceed at your own risk.
- AT&T Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727
- Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich running on your device.
- Samsung USB drivers for your phone must be installed on your computer. (You can install Samsung KIES, which will also install the drivers.)
- Temporarily disable all security software such as antivirus tools and Samsung KIES as they may interrupt during the installation process.
- Download the following files and save them to your PC:
- Copy the Superuser ZIP file to the /sdcard directory on your phone.
- Extract the Odin3 ZIP package into a folder on your computer.
- On your PC, launch the Odin3 application by double-clicking the .exe file.
- Power down your phone.
- Hold down both the Volume Up and Volume Down keys on your phone as you plug it into your computer via USB cable. When the download mode screen appears, release the Volume buttons.
- In the Odin3 window on your computer, the ID:COM box should be highlighted in yellow. If not, the USB drivers are the most likely culprit.
- Click the PDA button and choose SkyrocketCWMrecovery.tar.
- Under Option in Odin3, make sure only Auto Reboot is checked.
- Select the Start button to begin flashing ClockworkMod Recovery to your phone. Your phone will reboot automatically after the process finishes.
- Switch off your phone once again.
- Boot into ClockworkMod recovery. You can do this by pressing and holding down simultaneously the “Volume Up”, “Volume Down”, and “Power” buttons until you see the recovery menu.
- Select Install zip from SD card > Choose zip from SD card. Browse for the Superuser ZIP file that you copied to the phone and select it to begin installing.
- Once Superuser has been installed, go back to the main menu.
- Select “Reboot System Now”.
Congratulations! You have successfully rooted your AT&T Galaxy S2 Skyrocket SGH-I727 running on Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich.
Paul and I.T. are synonyms. If you need help with I.T.-related stuff, call on Paul. His experience with Android phones goes way back to the ancient single-core-phone days. But, he keeps himself up to date, so now he has a dual-core beast in his pocket, and is looking forward to getting his first quad-core monster, and when it comes, his first eight-core phone. Perhaps he should be called Mr. X-Core, where "X" equals the number of CPU cores.