The T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 officially runs Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich. Despite the release of the newest Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, no official announcement has been made about whether this phone will receive the latest updates, leading users to search for other means for enjoying the latest updates on their mobile phones.
Custom ROMs have been spreading throughout the Android community to bring the latest treats to a wide variety of Android phones and tablets. XDA Developers member Whitehawkx has also helped in spreading chewy Jelly Bean by introducing a guide on how to install the AOKP ROM based on Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean on your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989. Flashing this ROM will let you have a taste Jelly Bean and some customizations included in AOKP ROMs.
In this guide, you will learn how to upgrade the Galaxy S2 T989 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via AOKP ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2, model number SGH-T989. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Download the following files:
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the AOKP ROM, GApps, Darkside Super Wipe, and Darkside Cache Wipe ZIP files to the phone's internal SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Reboot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery mode. You can do that by pressing the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons until recovery boots.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. Go to Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen.
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and locate the SGH-T989_DARKSIDE.SUPER.WIPE_EXT4.zip file. Confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu. Repeat steps 6 and 7 and flash the other ZIP files in the following order:
- Android 4.1 Jelly Bean based AOKP ROM
- GApps package
- Go back to the main menu and select Reboot system now to restart your phone.
- Once fully booted into Android, let your phone settle for about 10 minutes.
- Reboot your phone and enjoy the new Android 4.1 Jelly Bean based AOKP ROM.
Congratulations! You have successfully flashed the Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean-based AOKP ROM on your T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989.