We flash custom ROMs to enjoy tweaked and enhanced ROMs on our Android phones. These custom ROMs let you enjoy a new Android experience that stock ROMs fail to offer. There are ROMs that offer the latest Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) and some would offer the same stock ROM with even more features. But, a ROM that transforms your phone into a tablet is one that you must try out.
Recognized XDA Developers member starskyrob and a group of developers managed to create a CyanogenMod 9 ROM with a tablet UI for your Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989. Dubbed the FoxstarMOD TabletUI Hybrid ROM, flashing this ROM will turn your phone into a mini-tablet. Take note that this ROM is the final release yet and may still contain bugs that need resolving.
Read on to learn how to flash the FoxstartMOD TabletUI Hybrid ROM to your Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with T-Mobile’s Samsung Galaxy S2, model number SGH-T989. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- A rooted T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 with ClockworkMod Touch Recovery installed.
- Download the FoxstarMOD TabletUI Hybrid ROM here (update.foxstarmod.05042011.zip, md5sum: b7117585c339676130bb5e190f7c7371).
- Make sure you are running the latest Android Ice Cream Sandwich radio firmware (T989UVLC8). Download the latest radio firmware here (Tmo_SHG-T989_LC8_radio.zip, 19.8 MB).
- Maintain a battery charge of 70% or more to make sure that you have sufficient power for the entire procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Download the FoxstarMOD TabletUI Hybrid ROM and the latest ICS radio firmware (if needed) to your computer.
- Copy both files to the root of your phone’s SD card.
- Switch off your Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989.
- Reboot your Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 into Recovery Mode. You can do that by pressing and holding down the Volume Up key, Volume Down key, and Power button simultaneously until recovery boots.
- Go to Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen to create a backup of your current ROM.
- Select Mounts and Storageand then the following:
- Select Format System.
- Select Format Data.
- Select Format Cache.
- Go back to the main menu and perform a full wipe:
- Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe Cache Partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik Cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Return to the main menu and select Install ZIP From SD Card.
- Select Choose ZIP From SD Card and locate the Tmo_SHG-T989_LC8_radio.zip. Confirm the action on the next screen to flash the radio to your phone.
- NOTE: You can skip this step if you are already running the latest ICS radio.
- Go back to the main menu and flash the update foxstarmod.05042011.zip in the same manner in steps 8 and 9.
- Once installation is complete, go back to the main menu and select Reboot System Now to restart your mobile phone.
- After the complete boot, go to Settings > System and adjust to your desired font size.
Congratulations! You have transformed your Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 into a mini-tablet via the FoxstarMOD TabletUI Hybrid ROM based on CyanogenMod 9.