How to flash ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 18.104.22.168 for the Galaxy S2 T989
If you’re fed up with your Android phone’s stock ROM, why not try flashing a custom ROM to your mobile phone? There are plenty of custom ROMs to choose from for your Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989. ROMs such as CyanogenMod 9 or AOKP offer pure Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) for your mobile phone. You can also try the fast and beautifully designed skin of MIUI ROM. But, before you take your first step into flashing custom ROMs, we should make every flashing procedure safe by installing ClockworkMod Touch Recovery.
This software is used to create backups, restore previous ROMs, and safely flash ROMs, mods and hacks to your mobile phone. What’s even better with ClockworkMod Touch Recovery is that you will no longer need your phone’s physical buttons to navigate and select commands on the recovery menu.
Read on to learn how to flash ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 22.214.171.124 for the Galaxy S2 T989.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with T-Mobile’s Samsung Galaxy S2, model number SGH-T989. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989
- A Windows PC
- USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 installed on your computer. You can get the drivers here (T-Mobile_t989_GSII_ADB_Drivers.zip, 22.8 MB).
- Odin3 v1.83 (Odin3 v1.83.exe, 415 kB).
- ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 126.96.36.199 (recovery.tar.md5, 5.94 MB).
- Close all system tools such as Samsung KIES, firewall programs, and anti-virus software to prevent any interruption during the procedure.
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Charge the phone’s battery to 70% or more.
Flashing Via Odin3
- Switch off your Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 and remove the battery for a few seconds. Reinsert the battery.
- Click Odin3 v1.83.exe to launch Odin3 on your computer.
- Reboot your Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 into Download Mode by doing the following steps:
- Connect the USB cable to the computer but do not connect your mobile phone yet.
- While pressing the Volume Down key and Volume Up key, connect your phone to the computer via USB cable. Keep the buttons pressed until Download Mode boots.
- The “Added” message will be displayed in Odin3. This signals that your phone has successfully connected to the computer. If your phone wasn’t able to connect, make sure that the appropriate USB drivers are installed on your computer.
- Click PDA and select the recovery.tar.md5.
- Once all are set, click Start to begin flashing the ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 188.8.131.52 to your mobile phone.
- Your phone will automatically reboot after installation is complete.
- NOTE: If your phone or Odin3 becomes unresponsive during the installation process, exit Odin3 and start over from step 1.
For those who want to use the ADB or Terminal Emulator method, you will need the following:
- A rooted Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 (For help with rooting, check our guide on how to root the Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989.)
- Download and install the USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989 on your computer. You can get the drivers here (T-Mobile_t989_GSII_ADB_Drivers.zip, 22.8 MB).
- Enable USB Debugging Mode by going to Settings > Application > Development > USB Debugging.
- Download the ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 184.108.40.206 image from here (recovery-clockwork-touch-220.127.116.11-hercules.img, md5sum: f25bc15bb09bbb7c0bd71b5977585988).
- If flashing via ADB, make sure you have the Android SDK with ADB component properly set up on your computer.
- If flashing via Terminal Emulator, make sure you install Android Terminal Emulator from the Google Play Store to your phone.
Flashing Via ADB
- Rename the recovery-clockwork-touch-18.104.22.168-hercules.img into recovery.img and place it in the root of your phone’s SD card (/sdcard/recovery.img).
- Plug your phone to the computer via USB cable.
- Open a command prompt window and type the command
adb devicesto check if your phone has successfully connected to your computer. Your phone’s serial number will be displayed on the screen.
- Type the command
dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22to flash the ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 22.214.171.124 to your mobile phone.
Flashing Via Terminal Emulator
- Download Terminal Emulator from the Google Play Store.
- Rename the recovery-clockwork-touch-126.96.36.199-hercules.img into recovery.img and transfer it to the root of your SD card (/sdcard/recovery.img).
- Launch the Terminal Emulator app and type the following commands:
dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p22
Good job! You have successfully flashed ClockworkMod Touch Recovery 188.8.131.52 to your Samsung Galaxy S2 SGH-T989. You can now flash ROMs to your device but always play it safe and make a backup before you try anything. That backup could save your phone.