Nothing beats the pure sweetness that Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich offers to consumers. If you want to experience pure ICS without having to buy a Galaxy Nexus, then you you can use an aptly named ROM–Pure ICS–on your Samsung Galaxy S2.
According to the developer, the Pure ICS ROM providers, er, pure ICS and lists the following working features (among many others):
- Pure ICS user interface
- Improved battery life
- Rooted and latest SU
- ICS keyboard
- ICS launcher
- Stock ICS icons
- Optimized apps and framework
- Fully deodexed and zipaligned
- Integrated with Google add-ons
- Google Music 4.1.1511
- TouchWiz removed
So, if you want your Samsung Galaxy S2 to run pure ICS, check out the Pure ICS ROM and install it on your Galaxy S2.
You will be needing the following before installing the ROM:
- A rooted Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed. See our guide for rooting the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 international variant.
- Phone must be running stock firmware XXLP1, XXLP2, and the like. (You can follow our guide for updating your Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 to XXLP2 firmware, and then follow our guide on how to root the Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 running XXLP2 firmware.)
Please take note of the following before proceeding with the installation process.
- This custom ROM is only compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100.
- Make sure your are using stock XXLP1 or XXLP2 firmware on your device before proceeding with this guide. (Some have reported that firmware XXLP6 also works.)
- Create a backup of your phone data or transfer all files on your SD card in case it will be erased while flashing the ROM.
- Power-up your battery to at least 60% to keep it running throughout the entire procedure.
- We are not liable for any damage arising from the use of this installation guide. Use the presented information at your own risk.
If you don’t have any problems, let’s now proceed on how to install the Pure ICS ROM on your mobile device.
- Download the Spike Pure ICS ROM package (version 4, as of this writing) from here. Save it to your computer, but do not extract the contents.
- Connect your mobile phone to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the Spike Pure ICS ROM package to the root of your phone’s internal storage (not the external microSD card).
- Disconnect your phone from your PC.
- Turn off your device completely.
- After about 5 seconds, reboot the phone into Recovery Mode. You can do that by holding down the Volume Up, Home, and Power buttons simultaneously. Release the buttons when you see the Samsung logo.
- Perform a full wipe by selecting the following from the recovery menu (make sure you confirm each wipe):
- Wipe data/factory reset
- Wipe cache partition
- Open the “Mounts and storage” menu, then select “Format system” to reformat your phone.
- From the main recovery menu, select “Install zip from sdcard.”
- Locate the ZIP file that you copied to your phone. Select the file and confirm that you want to install it.
- Select “Go back” and reboot your device by selecting “Reboot System Now.”
Hooray! You have just successfully flavored your Samsung Galaxy S2 with the pure sweetness of Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich via Spike Pure ICS ROM.