Upgrade Galaxy S2 to Android 4.0.3 Firmware XXLPB (Pre-rooted, Deodexed)
Samsung Galaxy S2 users sure are very excited these days because their device is finally going to get its official fair share of Ice Cream Sandwich sometime in the first quarter of this year.
However, some just can’t wait any longer to get a feel of Ice Cream Sandwich running on their device, which is why custom ICS ROMs for the Galaxy S2 are in demand.
In the past few days, we’ve already seen a number of ICS leaks for the Galaxy S2, but there’s a recent leak to be intrigued about: XXLPB. Despite still being in alpha development, the ROM is reportedly stable enough for daily use. While the official ICS upgrade for Galaxy S2 users is still being cooked up, the leaked ROM might be worth checking out while waiting for the official release from Samsung.
Released by XDA Developers forum member wanam, the XXLPB ROM is reportedly better than the earlier build XXLP6. The interface has some sort of 3D scrolling effect and the battery lasts a lot longer. Other things are more or less the same as in the previous builds, but this build is just more stable.
The ROM is said to be deodexed, zipaligned, and pre-rooted. It also comes with BusyBox, ClockworkMod Recovery 5, and CF-Root LPB Kernel.
- Root your Samsung Galaxy S2. (See our guide on how to root your device.)
- Install ClockworkMod Recovery to your phone (via ROM Manager from the Android Market).
- Download the XXLPB ROM from here or here.
- Make a back up of all important data in your phone. (i.e. SMS, contacts, call logs, files, and MMS & Internet settings)
- Charge your battery to at least 70% (full charge is preferred).
NOTE: Remember that rooting your phone will void its warranty. Also, rooting and installing custom firmware on your device runs the slim chance of rendering your device nonfunctional. So, proceed with caution and use these instructions at your own risk. Do not hold us liable for any damage arising from your use of this guide.
Here’s how to install ICS on your Samsung Galaxy S2:
- Download the ROM file from the link above and copy it to the root of the SD card on your phone.
- Reboot your phone into Recovery mode.
- Create a Nandroid back up as soon as your phone is booted in Recovery mode.
- Perform full wipe of your phone data by selecting Wipe data/factory reset, Wipe cache partition, and W style=”font-style: italic;”>ipe Dalvik cache.
- Flash the ROM by selecting Install zip from SD card, then C style=”font-style: italic;”>hoose zip from SD card.
- Select the file that you copied earlier. Confirm that you want to flash the file. The ROM will now be installed.
- Reboot the phone after flashing is completed.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the prerooted, deodexed, and zipaligned build XXLPB of Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich on your Galaxy S2.