Update Galaxy S2 to Ice Cream Sandwich Based on XXLPB Firmware and with No TouchWiz
A few days ago, a new Ice Cream Sandwich firmware leak for the Samsung Galaxy S2 crawled down the grapevine. The leaked firmware, referred to as build XXLPB, included interface 3D effects during scrolling and improved battery performance.
XDA Developers member althebyani has created a new Ice Cream Sandwich custom ROM based on XXLPB firmware, mixed with CyanogenMod 9 source. The custom ROM is called Thebyani ROM ICS for SGS2. The developer has even done away with the TouchWiz UI to give the ROM a clean AOSP look.
Some of this ROM’s features include:
- Fast booting.
- GPS has been fixed.
- Pure Ice Cream Sandwich.
- Improved battery life and smoothness.
- Added ICS browser.
- Added Memo.
- Added Google Music app.
- Added new boot animation.
The Thebyani Ice Cream Sandwich ROM is in great working condition and is stable enough for use daily.
Take note that this ROM is only compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 and not with any other Samsung device. We highly discourage attempting to flash this ROM with incompatible devices as it may lead to bricking. Make sure to check your device’s model and number through “Settings > About Phone”.
You’ll need a few things before we can flash this ROM to your Samsung Galaxy S2:
- Rooted Samsung Galaxy S2 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed.
- Thebyani ROM ICS for SGS2 (currently at version 3.0) — Get it from here or here.
- New status bar update package (1.zip) — Get it from here.
- Cyclic Battery with percentage update package (2.zip) — Get it from here.
- A fully charged battery to prevent the device from shutting off in the middle of the update process.
- Make sure to create a backup of all the important information on your device in case data is lost or corrupted during the update process.
Once you have everything, you may now flash the Thebyani ICS ROM to your Samsung Galaxy S2:
- Connect your device to your computer.
- Copy the Thebyani ROM ICS file, new status bar update package (1.zip), and Cyclic Battery package (2.zip) to the root of your device’s internal SD card.
- Disconnect your phone from the computer.
- Turn off the phone.
- Boot into Recovery Mode. You can do this by holding the Volume Up key while pressing the Power button and releasing both buttons when the Samsung Galaxy S2 logo appears.
- Once in Recovery Mode, select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset”.
- Select “Wipe Cache Partition.”
- Select “Wipe Dalvik Cache” from the Advanced menu.
- Select “Wipe battery stats” from the Advanced menu.
- Navigate to “Install ZIP from SD Card.”
- Select the Thebyani ICS ROM file and start flashing the file.
- You may skip this step if you don’t want to install the new status bar and/or the Cyclic Battery. Select “Install ZIP from SD Card” again and choose 1.zip (new status bar update file). Perform the same procedure for 2.zip (Cyclic Battery).
- Select “Go Back.”
- Select “Reboot System Now.”
Once your Samsung Galaxy S2 reboots, your phone will now be running Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich (build XXLPB) with no TouchWiz, courtesy of the Thebyani ROM ICS for SGS2 version 3.0.style=”text-decoration: underline;”>