If you think your Samsung Galaxy S2 will remain with just Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich XXLP6 firmware, then think again—a more up-to-date XXLPB firmware has been leaked and is ready to be installed on your mobile device. The new firmware reportedly offers improved battery performance compared to earlier firmware and some bells and whistles such as 3D effects when overscrolling.
If you want to, you can try upgrading your Galaxy S2 to XXLP6 firmware first, or jump right in and learn how to flash Android ICS build XXLPB firmware on your mobile phone.
Before you flash the update, make sure you create a backup of your mobile phone data. Flashing the update will wipe the data on your device. Keep in mind that system tools such as Samsung KIES, firewall programs, and antivirus software may interfere during the installation process. It will be wise to disable such software for the meantime while you update your phone. Lastly, you will need to download the following files to your computer:
- XXLPB firmware (I9100OXXLP5_OXX.rar, 336 MB)
- Odin v1.83
- Samsung USB Drivers (install the drivers on your computer) — 32-bit (x86) Windows or 64-bit (x64) Windows
If all are in place, let’s now proceed to flashing Android 4.0.3 ICS XXLPB firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S2.
- Extract the contents of I9100OXXLP5_OXX.rar to your computer. If prompted for a password, use “samfirmware.com” (without the quotes). You will extract 3 files:
- Make sure your phone is not connected to your PC.
- Turn your phone off and wait until it vibrates to confirm it is completely turned off.
- Press and hold the Volume Down key, Home key, and Power button simultaneously until a “Warning” sign appears on the screen.
- Press the Volume Up key to continue. This will put the phone in Download mode.
- Run “Odin3 v1.83.exe” on your computer.
- Connect your device to the computer via USB cable. The word “Added!” will be displayed in Odin’s message box. If it doesn’t display anything in the message box, make sure you have installed the appropriate drivers for your device.
- After successfully connecting your device to Odin, manually add the extracted files to their respective tabs as instructed below:
- Click the PDA tab and choose I9100_CODE_I9100XXLPB_CL99600_REV02_user_low_ship.tar
- Click the Phone tab and choose MODEM_I9100XXLPB_REV_02_CL1101286.tar
- Click the CSC Tab and choose GT-I9100-MULTI-CSC-OXXLP5_RST.tar
- Under “Option” in the Odin3 window, make sure there are check marks beside Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time.
- Click the Start button in Odin3 to flash the XXLPB firmware on your Samsung Galaxy S2.
Your phone will automatically reboot once it is done flashing the firmware. When the Samsung logo appears on your phone screen, you can now safely unplug your device from the computer. The highlighted word “PASS!” will also appear on the upper-left most box of Odin3, which signals a successful update.
In Case Something Goes Wrong
- Unplug your phone from the computer.
- Close Odin3.
- Remove the phone’s battery and re-insert it.
- Reboot your phone into Download mode.
- Repeat the installation process from step 6.
Congratulations! You have successfully updated your Samsung Galaxy S2 to Android 4.0.3 XXLPB firmware.