With the new Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, moving between homescreens and switching between apps is effortless, like turning pages of a book. Jelly Bean improves the simplicity and beauty of Android 4.0 and introduces a new Google Search experience on Android. These are just a couple of the great features that Jelly Bean has to offer.
While device manufacturers, like Samsung, are still developing an official update for their Android devices, XDA Recognized Developer fuss132 has developed a new AOKP Jelly Bean ROM. It's based on Android 4.1.1 and it's for the Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G. AOKP is well-known for its variety of customizable features.
However, as of the moment, this custom ROM is still in its very early phase. There are still a lot of bugs and issues that are being amended. The ROM is still not recommended for day-to-day use. If you are excited for a sneak peek of the Jelly Bean based AOKP ROM, we've prepared the instructions below for you to try it out yourself.
In this guide, learn how to upgrade the Galaxy S2 I9100G to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean via the AOKP Jelly Bean custom ROM.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S2, model number GT-I9100G. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not hold any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
- Read and understand the whole guide first before actually performing the instructions.
- Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G with Android 4.0.3 XXLPQ firmware and with ClockworkMod Recovery installed
- Download the following:
- Backup all personal data on your phone to make sure you have a copy of your personal data (e.g., contacts, SMS, MMS, Internet settings, Wi-Fi passwords, and the like) in case the procedure in this guide erases such data.
- Copy the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM and the Jelly Bean Google Apps package to your phone’s internal SD card.
- Switch off your phone.
- Reboot your phone into ClockworkMod Recovery Mode. You can do that by pressing and holding down the Volume Up button, Home button, and the Power button simultaneously until recovery boots.
- NOTE: Use to Volume buttons to scroll through the list of items and the Power button to select an option.
- Create a NANDroid backup of your current ROM. From the main recovery menu, select Backup and Restore and select Backup on the next screen. Wait until the backup process is done.
- Go back to the main menu and perform a full wipe:
- Select Wipe data/factory reset and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Select Wipe cache partition and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Advanced. From there, select Wipe Dalvik cache and confirm the action on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and select Install ZIP from SD card.
- Select Choose ZIP from SD card and locate the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM ZIP file. To confirm and start the installation by selecting Yes – Install aokp_i9100g_jb-build-1.zip on the next screen.
- Go back to the main menu and flash the GApps package in the same manner as in steps 6 and 7.
- Go back to the main menu and select Reboot system now to restart your phone.
Hurray! You just flashed your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100G with the AOKP Jelly Bean ROM based on Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean.
We're all multi-talented and multi-faceted here, but, perhaps, Carl is the most multi-faceted in the bunch. Among Carl's many interests, Android holds a special place. He's particularly fond of reviewing Android apps and writing step-by-step guides for fellow Android fans.