The Ice Cream Sandwich craze for the Samsung Galaxy S2 is literally growing by the day, with many developers jumping on the bandwagon and vowing support for the device.
Many custom ROMs based on Ice Cream Sandwich have been released these days and it seems that most of them are similar in features. However, one ROM differentiates itself from the rest of the pack, one that would make Galaxy S2 owners want to try and check it out for themselves.
Known as the Slim ICS custom ROM for the Galaxy S2, this new ROM’s name speaks for itself as a slim, stripped-down version of ICS. The developer managed to squeeze the ROM to a mere 75 MB carrying only the essential applications and removing the bloatware found on official ROMs.
Notable highlights of the ROM include:
- 5 languages only (English (U.S. and U.K.), French, Italian, German, and Spanish)
- Zeam Launcher as default, but stock ICS launcher available in an add-on package
- Basic Google apps included (e.g., Gmail, Talk, Calendar, and Contacts sync)
- Android Market 3.4.4
- Team Hacksung/CM9 kernel
- 182 dpi (but 240 dpi can be used for incompatible apps)
Currently, the native video camera doesn’t work yet, and TV Out functionality hasn’t been fully tested. But, the following already work: GPS, Bluetooth, cameras, video recording (via Screencast), 2G/3G toggle, Wi-Fi, data connection, tethering (USB, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth), phone calls, and Galaxy S2 settings.
The ROM is basically rather stable for use daily, although be prepared to discover some bugs, as the ROM is still being developed.
Try Slim ICS on your Samsung Galaxy S2. Check out the rest of this guide for the instructions.
- These instructions may perform a clean install of the ROM, and thus, may clean out all data on your phone.
- The Slim ICS ROM is pre-rooted, so you don’t need to root your phone again after installing the ROM.
- Use this guide at your own risk. We shall not be responsible for any damage arising from your use of this guide.
- A rooted Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 with ClockworkMod Recovery installed. See our guide on how to root the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100.
- An AOSP-based Ice Cream Sandwich ROM (e.g., CyanogenMod 9, AOKP, and the like) already installed and running on your phone.
- Fully charged battery or at least 70% battery left.
- Backup of your personal files and data.
- Download the latest (version 2.9) packages of Slim ICS ROM and save them to your PC:
- Base package for Galaxy S2 from here or here (Base_2.9.zip, 57.6 MB)
- Essentials package for Galaxy S2 from here or here (2.9_I9100_Essentials.zip, 23.3 MB)
- Connect your Galaxy S2 to your PC via USB cable.
- Copy the downloaded ZIP files to your phone’s internal SD card.
- Switch off your phone completely.
- Boot into recovery mode. You can do this by pressing and holding down the Volume Up, Home and Power buttons together. Release the buttons when you see the Samsung logo. When in recovery mode, use the Volume keys for navigation, and the Power key for selecting options.
- Wipe phone data, as follows:
- Select “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” then select “Yes” on the screen that follows.
- Select “Mounts and storage” then select “Format system”. Select “Yes” on the screen that follows to confirm formatting your device.
- Select Advanced, then select “Wipe Dalvik cache.” Confirm caceh
- Select Install zip from sdcard > Choose zip from sdcard. Browse for the Slim ICS Base package and select it to flash it. Repeat the same step for the Slim ICS Essentials package. It may take 5-10 minutes for the installation process to finish.
- After the installation is through, select “Go Back” then select “Reboot System Now” to reboot your phone.
- In some cases, only a black homescreen is shown upon first boot after installation. If this happens, just press the Menu key on your phone, then go to Preferences > Customize > Zeam Launcher.
Congratulations! You have successfully installed the Slim ICS ROM on your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100.