If you’re a Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 user located in the U.K. or Australia, we’ve got great news for you. After quite a long wait, the official Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware update has arrived for the Samsung Galaxy S2 in the U.K. and Australia. Just a few days ago, Samsung rolled out the updates for the said model, as well as the updates for the other variants of the phone. Read on to know how to install this update on your phone.
Samsung has rolled out several updates for its devices in the past week. In the case of the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100, two firmware versions based on Android 4.0.3 were released. There is the I9100XWLP7 build for those who purchased their device from the U.K. or Ireland and the I9100XWLP8 build for those who purchased their Galaxy S2 in Australia.
Since these firmware updates were just recently released, users and developers have yet to report bugs or issues. Hopefully, these updates are flawless so we can enjoy a great Ice Cream Sandwich experience. Installing these updates will not require you to root your phone. And, if your phone is currently rooted, you will lose root access.
- The instructions in this guide are intended for use with the Samsung Galaxy S2, model number GT-I9100. Applying these instructions on another device or model may produce undesired outcomes.
- The information in this guide is provided for instructional and educational purposes only. There is no guarantee that these instructions will work under your specific and unique circumstances.
- Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not claim any responsibility or liability for whatever happens to you or your device arising from your use of the info in this guide.
Here’s a list of the things that you need for the installation.
- Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 (either the U.K./Ireland variant or the Australia variant)
- A Windows PC
- Samsung USB drivers properly installed on the computer
- Enable USB Debugging on your phone. Go to Settings > Applications > Development.
- Create a back up of all the important data (i.e. contacts, call logs, files and Internet settings) because the installation involves wiping your phone’s data. You can read our guides on how to backup your data locally and how to backup your data to the cloud.
- Make sure that you have enough battery power on your device to avoid installation interruption due to power loss.
- Download Odin3 1.85 to your computer: Odin3_v1.85.zip (437.8 kB)
- Download to your computer the appropriate update package for your phone:
- I9100XWLP7 – I9100XWLP7_I9100XEULP5_XEU.zip, 384.4 MB (for non-branded phones in U.K. or Ireland)
- I9100XWLP8 – I9100XWLP8_I9100OPSLP4_OPS.zip, 717.1 MB (for Optus network in Australia)
- Extract the firmware ZIP file to any folder on your computer.
- Extract Odin3_v1.85.zip into a folder on your computer.
- Double-click on Odin3 v1.85.exe program to launch Odin3.
- Turn off your phone.
- Put your phone in Recovery Mode by pressing the Home button, Volume Up key, and the Power button.
- In Recovery Mode, select Wipe Data/Factory Reset.
- Go to Advanced and select Wipe cache.
- Remove your phone’s battery and reinsert it.
- Boot your device into Download Mode by pressing the Power button, Volume Down key, and the Home button at the same time.
- Connect your phone to your computer and when Odin3 recognizes it, you should see a message saying “Added!” on the Odin3 window.
- Click the PDA tab in Odin3 and select the firmware file that you extracted earlier.
- Once the file has been selected, click Start to start the flashing of the firmware.
- Once the installation is done, you should get a “Pass” message in Odin. If you get a “”Fail” message, close Odin3, disconnect your phone from your computer, remove and reinsert your phone’s battery, and start over from step 2.
Great! You have now updated your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 with the official Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade. Enjoy your Ice Cream Sandwich experience.