By this time around the official Ice Cream Sandwich update for the Samsung Galaxy S2 has already made its debut in some parts of Europe. As always, other places such as Asia and America will soon follow afterwards. On the other hand, Russia just got hold of the Ice Cream Sandwich update for the Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 with the XWLP2 firmware, which you can also manually install using Odin3.
The XWLP2 firmware is not limited to Russia alone but can also be flashed in other parts of the world. But, if you’re not in Russia, it is best that you flash the international European version, which is XXLPQ.
The Ice Cream Sandwich update is still crawling an a steady pace towards Galaxy S2 devices all over the world, but if you still want to try it out for yourself, then you can try XXLP2 firmware.
This ROM and the guide below is only compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S2 with model number GT-I9100. It is not compatible with any other Galaxy S2 variants such as the Epic 4G Touch, AT&T Galaxy S2, and the like.. To check your device’s model number you can head to “Settings > About Phone”.
- Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100
- A Windows PC
- Uninstall Samsung KIES software on your PC, as it may interrupt the flashing process.
- Disable any security program on your PC (e.g., firewalls, antivirus, etc.).
- Install the Samsung USB drivers on your Windows PC. Download the drivers here: 32-bit | 64-bit.
- Backup your personal data and important files.
- Make sure the phone has enough battery power (at least 70%).
NOTE: Use these instructions at your own risk. We shall not be liable for any damage or untoward incident arising from your use of this guide.
- Download the XWLP2 firmware from here (I9100XWLP2_I9100OXELP4_SER.zip, 430.6 MB) and save it to your PC.
- Extract the downloaded ZIP package into a folder on your PC. You should get two files:
- Download Odin3 from here (Odin3 v1.83.exe, 415.5 kB) and save it to your PC.
- Switch off your phone.
- Boot your phone to Download Mode so that you can flash the XWLP2 firmware using Odin3. You can boot to Download mode by pressing and holding down the “Volume Down”, “Home”, and “Power” buttons until you are prompted with a Warning! Screen.
- On your PC, launch the Odin3 application by double-clicking Odin3 v1.83.exe.
- Connect your Galaxy S2 to your PC via USB cable. You should get a message “Added!” under Odin3’s message box found on the bottom left of the Odin3 window. In case you don’t get this message, there probably is a problem with your USB drivers.
- In Odin3, click the PDA tab and choose the file named “I9100XWLP2_I9100OXELP4_I9100XXLPQ_HOME.tar.md5”.
- Do not change anything else in the Odin3 window.
- Press the START button in Odin3 to begin flashing the XWLP2 firmware. When the installation is done your phone should automatically reboot itself. You’ll also get a PASS message in the top-left box in the Odin3 window.
- When you are greeted with the Samsung splash screen logo, you can now safely disconnect your device from your PC.
Congratulations! You have successfully flashed the official Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich firmware build XWLP2 on your Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100.